Theory-driven and technology-assisted injury prevention and rehabilitation for children, adolescents, and young adults
injury prevention; cognitive assessment and rehabilitation; brain injury; autism; ADHD; randomized clinical trials; virtual and augmented reality; functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS)
- Ph D: Life-Span Developmental Psychology, (2015), University of Alabama at Birmingham - Birmingham, AL
- M.Ed.: Developmental and Educational Psychology, (2011), East China Normal University - Shanghai, China
- BS: Psychology, (2008), Zhejiang University - Hangzhou, Province of Zhejiang, China
Selected Awards and Honors
- Early Career Scholarship Award (2020), Scholarship/Research - American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Most Cited Paper Award (2018), Scholarship/Research - Journal of Pediatric Psychology
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Scientist for Clinical Research (2018), Scholarship/Research - Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- APA Achievement Award for Early Career Professionals (2016), Scholarship/Research - American Psychological Association
- Shen, J., Xiang, H., Luna, J., Grishchenko, A., Patterson, J., Strouse, R.V., Roland, M., Lundine, J.P., Koterba, C.H., Lever, K., others, . (2020). Designing a Virtual Reality-based Executive Function Rehabilitation System for Children with Traumatic Brain Injuries. JMIR serious games.
- Feldman, B., Shen, J., Chen, C., Shi, J., Xiang, H. (2020). Perceived health after adult traumatic brain injury: a Group-Based Trajectory Modeling (GBTM) analysis. Brain injury, 34(6) 741--750.
- Shen, J., Johnson, S., Chen, C., Xiang, H. (2020). Virtual Reality for Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury Rehabilitation: A Systematic Review. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 14(1) 6--15.
- Barton, B.K., Shen, J., Stavrinos, D., Davis, S. (2019). Developmental Aspects of Unintentional Injury Prevention Among Youth: Implications for Practice. American journal of lifestyle medicine, 13(6) 565--573.
- Shi, J., Shen, J., Caupp, S., Wang, A., Nuss, K.E., Kenney, B., Wheeler, K.K., Lu, B., Xiang, H. (2018). A new weighted injury severity scoring system: better predictive power for pediatric trauma mortality. The journal of trauma and acute care surgery, 85(2) 334.
- Stavrinos, D., Pope, C.N., Shen, J., Schwebel, D.C. (2018). Distracted walking, bicycling, and driving: Systematic review and meta-analysis of mobile technology and youth crash risk. Child development, 89(1) 118--128.
- Schwebel, D.C., Johnston, A., Shen, J., Li, P. (2017). Evaluating Otto the Auto: Does Engagement in an Interactive Website Improve Young Children’s Transportation Safety? International journal of environmental research and public health, 14(7) 804.
- Shen, J., Giles, S.A., Kurtovic, K., Fabia, R., Besner, G.E., Wheeler, K.K., Xiang, H., Groner, J.I. (2017). Evaluation of nurse accuracy in rating procedural pain among pediatric burn patients using the Face, Legs, Activity, Cry, Consolability (FLACC) Scale. Burns, 43(1) 114--120.
- Shen, J., Rouse, J., Godbole, M., Wells, H.L., Boppana, S., Schwebel, D.C. (2017). Systematic review: interventions to educate children about dog safety and prevent pediatric dog-bite injuries: a meta-analytic review. Journal of pediatric psychology, 42(7) 779--791.
- Shen, J., Pang, S., Schwebel, D.C. (2016). A randomized trial evaluating child dog-bite prevention in rural China through video-based testimonials. Health psychology, 35(5) 454.
- Shen, J., Pang, S., Schwebel, D.C. (2016). Cognitive and behavioral risk factors for unintentional drowning among rural Chinese children. International journal of behavioral medicine, 23(2) 243--250.
- Shen, J., Pang, S., Schwebel, D.C. (2016). Evaluation of a drowning prevention program based on testimonial videos: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of pediatric psychology, 41(5) 555--565.
- Schwebel, D.C., Shen, J., McClure, L.A. (2016). How do children learn to cross the street? The process of pedestrian safety training. Traffic injury prevention, 17(6) 573--579.
- Boppana, S., Shen, J., Schwebel, D.C. (2016). Transportation-Related Safety Behaviors in Top-Grossing Children's Movies from 2008 to 2013. Journal of Developmental \& Behavioral Pediatrics, 37(4) 306--313.
- Avis, K.T., Shen, J., Weaver, P., Schwebel, D.C. (2015). Psychosocial characteristics of children with central disorders of hypersomnolence versus matched healthy children. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 11(11) 1281--1288.
- Shen, J., McClure, L.A., Schwebel, D.C. (2015). Relations between temperamental fear and risky pedestrian behavior. Accident Analysis \& Prevention, 80 178--184.
- Shen, J., Li, S., Xiang, H., Lu, S., Schwebel, D.C. (2014). Antecedents and consequences of pediatric dog-bite injuries and their developmental trends: 101 cases in rural China. Accident Analysis \& Prevention, 63 22--29.
- Schwebel, D.C., Barton, B.K., Shen, J., Wells, H.L., Bogar, A., Heath, G., McCullough, D. (2014). Systematic review and meta-analysis of behavioral interventions to improve child pedestrian safety. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 39(8) 826--845.
- Shen, J., Li, S., Xiang, H., Pang, S., Xu, G., Schwebel, D.C. (2013). A multi-site study on knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practice of child-dog interactions in rural China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 10(3) 950--962.
- Shen, J., Li, S., Xiang, H., Pang, S., Xu, G., Yu, G., Schwebel, D.C. (2013). Dog safety in rural China: Children's sources of safety information and effect on knowledge, attitudes, and practices. Accident Analysis \& Prevention, 59 164--169.
- Virtual Reality-based Rehabilitation for Children with Traumatic Brain Injuries (R00 Phase) (2020), Grant - Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
Shen, J. (Principal), Wang, Y. (Co-Investigator)
- Caregiver Brain Education Program (2019), Sponsored Research - Nationwide Children’s Hospital Foundation Dale and Amy Earnhardt Fund
Shen, J. (Co-Investigator)
- Virtual and Augmented Reality for Implicit Bias Training (VARIAT) (2018), Grant - Ohio Department of Medicaid
Shen, J. (Co-Investigator)
- Virtual Reality-based Cognitive Assessment Tool (VR-CAT) for Children with Traumatic Brain Injuries (2018), Grant - Ohio Department of Public Safety
Shen, J. (Principal)
- Virtual Reality-based Rehabilitation for Children with Traumatic Brain Injuries (K99 Phase) (2018), Grant - Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
Shen, J. (Principal)