Status: Project Identified; Existing Customer base; approx. $200k current revenue
Weave (Web-based Analysis and Visualization Environment) is an open source software service that already has active users and generates revenue. This powerful, interactive software platform developed by Professor Georges Grinstein helps anyone explore, analyze, visualize and disseminate data online for any purpose, from any location and at any time. It allows the user to work on a project with hundreds of individuals in multiple locations simultaneously. It also allows data collection from different sources and integrates them into a bigger, more collaborative and connected encyclopedia of data for visualization purposes. This product is designed to:
- Provide meaningful visualizations of measures and indicators with an open-source, web-based system
- Support multiple types of users (from novice to expert, analyst to developer)
- Provide high degrees of interactivity, performance, usability and security
Weave is currently being used by 30 large scale organizations, 17 consortium members, and by a number of cities including Boston, San Antonio, Kansas City, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Portland and Grand Rapids, as well as states including Massachusetts, Arizona, Ohio, Michigan, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Florida. The current focus of Weave is to enable non-profits and other small groups to use the technology in order to share and disseminate data, visualizations, and stories on their own web pages, in grant writing, and most importantly to help them affect social change.
New Venture Initiative (NVI) identified Weave as a technology with great market and commercialization potential beyond the non-profit sector. NVI supports this technology due to its unique offerings, proof of concept in the marketplace, and revenue generation. This initiative will assist Dr. Grinstein in:
- Further researching the market potential
- Forming a substantial founding team outside of the University with experience in open-source software and customization models
- Creating an independent spin-out company with the Weave technology focused on training, services, and customization's for mid-sized data sets
If you are interested in Weave, please contact Nancy Saucier, Director of New Venture Development at Nancy_Saucier@uml.edu or 978-934-3212.