UMass Lowell International Bridge Program

The UMass Lowell International Bridge Program (IBP) is a special enrollment option for international applicants who applied to enroll as a first-year student and demonstrate significant potential. 

Prior to enrolling at UMass Lowell, applicants must enroll at Middlesex Community College (MCC), our partner institution located a short distance from the UMass Lowell campus, and complete the following criteria:

  • Earn a minimum of 12 transferable academic credits at MCC
  • Attain a cumulative GPA that is equal to or greater than 2.5 GPA*
  • Completion of English Composition 1&2 with C- or Completion of English 1 with grade of C+ and acceptable TOEFL (79.00), IELTS (6.0), Duolingo score (100)
  • Some degree programs are more competitive; please work closely with your UML and MCC Academic Advisors. Each UML degree program has specific criteria; please work closely with your UML and MCC Academic Advisors. Specific, high demand, majors that are excluded from this conditional letter of acceptance include the following: B.A. Education, B.S. in Nursing degrees and Health Sciences degree programs. Middlesex Community College courses are evaluated for credit based on the UML Transfer dictionary
  •  The IBP Program and on-campus housing at UMass Lowell is limited to four semesters. IBP students may choose to remain at MCC beyond for semesters to complete their associates degree. UML will continue to offer transfer advising in collaboration with MCC. Most likely, students can fulfill the criteria to enroll at UMass Lowell in two to three semesters.
  • The University of Massachusetts Lowell (UMass Lowell) is a proud partner of Middlesex Community College (MCC). We look forward to working with you to meet your educational goals.
  • As a participant in the UMass Lowell-MCC Bridge Program you are eligible to live on the UMass Lowell campus and participate in the campus meal plan. Once you reply with your intent to enroll in this program, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will note your intent to enroll in IBP and provide instructions for obtaining housing. Issuance of the I-20 study document will be administered by MCC; their office will follow up with you to request the appropriate documentation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did you create the IBP?

Highly qualified international apply for fall or spring entry but may first require additional language proficiency development. We wanted to create a seamless pathway for more students who choose UMass Lowell. If you see yourself at UMass Lowell, this program is perfect for you.

Is this like being placed on a waitlist?

No. This is an offer of admission, contingent on 12 transferable credits, demonstration of language proficiency, and meeting the admissions criteria for your intended degree program. Students on our waitlist have not received an offer of admission. There is no guarantee they will receive one.

Can’t I just go to community college or university and transfer to UMass Lowell on my own?

You can, and plenty of students do. Enrolling through the International Bridge Program has several advantages:

  • As an IBP accept, you are already admitted at our partner community college.
  • If you achieve the enrollment criteria within one year, you will not have to reapply for admission to UMass Lowell.
  • UMass Lowell will provide wrap-around academic advising at no cost to you. We will ensure you take the right courses – with no credit loss at transfer.
  • We will regard you as our student from day one. You will have a UMass Lowell ID card, attend our orientation, have a UMass Lowell advisor, and be welcomed at UMass Lowell sports games and events.
How do I find out how much it will cost?

IBP will lower your costs. When you are enrolled at Middlesex Community College, you will pay the tuition rates for that school. When you transfer to UMass Lowell, you will pay UMass Lowell tuition rates.

Can I stay at the community college for more than a semester?

Yes, and we will continue to advise you until you are ready to join us at UMass Lowell.

What community colleges can I attend?

Middlesex Community College is our exclusive IBP partner institution.

Do I need to take placement tests at my community college?

In most cases, MCC requires placement tests. You will be notified by MCC of the requirement for any placement tests.

Can I major in anything I want?

For 2022-2023, this program is offered for students who will enroll in majors within the Manning School of Business, the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the Francis College of Engineering and the Kennedy College of Sciences.

Students interested in selecting a major within the Francis College of Engineering and Kennedy College of Sciences will need to demonstrate appropriate math and science preparation.

I was admitted to IBP for my second-choice major. What if I want to study my first-choice major?

IBP is designed to support the transition of students to any of our majors in the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the Manning School of Business, the Francis College of Engineering and the Kennedy College of Sciences. If you are interested in pursuing a major in another college at UMass Lowell, please speak with one of our transfer counselors who can help you plan your pathway to one of those majors.

What if I already have college/AP credits?

Please send official college transcripts and official AP score reports to both UMass Lowell and Middlesex Community College. We want to make sure to give you credit for the work you’ve already completed.

How do I get housing when attending Middlesex Community College?

Students accepted into IBP can apply to live in at UMass Lowell as part of the MCC cohort. Students should apply on the online housing portal by May 5.

What privileges will I have as an IBP student living on campus?

As an IBP student living on campus and attending Middlesex Community College, you are entitled to all of the benefits that our UMass Lowell students have. You can use the libraries, the Wellness Center and the Campus Recreation Center. You will eat in the university dining halls, can get involved with UMass Lowell student clubs and organizations, and can enjoy any of our athletic events for free. 

If you do not plan on living on campus, you have access to fewer resources, but are welcome on campus at any time. You can get a UMass Lowell ID card, get involved in student clubs and organizations, use UMass Lowell libraries and enjoy any of our athletic events for free.

Can IBP students work on campus?

Most on-campus jobs are based on work-study funding. Unfortunately, international students are not eligible for Work Study funded jobs. You will need to rely on the funding source(s) you presented to the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) and the U.S. Embassy when issued F-1 or J-1 status. All Off-Campus Work Authorization for F-1 or J-1 students must have the PRIOR approval of the International Students & Scholars Office and the issuance of a new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Failure to obtain Off-Campus Work Authorization through ISSO will jeopardize your F-1 or J-1 student status. Here are a few locations and options for on-campus work: Academic Departments, On-Campus Departments, On-campus vendors.

Are IBP students able to enroll at other Massachusetts community colleges?

The UML-MCC International Bridge Program is a specific partnership with Middlesex Community College. Specific questions may be addressed to

Are IBP students eligible for Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is not available for international students in the International Bridge Program.

Who can I speak to if I have questions about the IBP program?

Please contact Transfer Admissions by email: or or phone: 978-934-3931.

How do I enroll in the International Bridge Program?

To register. please fill out the International Bridge Program complete the registration form using your student I.D., which is located on most communications from the university.

If you have any questions, please or Phone: 978-934-3931 for more information.