Fibers, textiles, and textile products; program management; budget planning and revenue forecasting; proposal preparation
Fibers, textiles, textile products for protection and advanced functionality and flexible hybrid electronics (FHE).
- MS: Textile Science, minor Chemical Engineering (1983)
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Dissertation: "Effects of Chemical Carriers and Disperse Dyes on the Morphology of Polyethylene Terephthalate Films"
- BS: Clothing, Textiles and Design (1980)
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
Ms. Gomes is a Technical Program Manager at the University of Massachusetts Lowell for advanced fibers, textiles and FHE. She has provided technical and design expertise for various military uniform designs as well as the Shuttle space suit. Ms. Gomes has also written a book chapter, “Designing military uniforms with high-tech materials,” Military Textiles, edited by E. Wilusz, Woodhead Publishing, 2008. As a successful senior textile professional, the Specialty Fabrics Review, an Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI) publication, selected Ms. Gomes for a member perspective, April 2012.
She is associated with Manufacturing USA innovation institutes, NextFlex with FHE and AFFOA, Advanced Functional Fabrics of America and the Fabric Discovery Center at UMass Lowell. She also supportsHEROES (Harnessing Emerging Opportunities to Empower Soldiers) and advanced textiles mainly for military applications.
Selected Awards and Honors
- President's Award, QinetiQ North America, Apr 2012 for outstanding individual performance and significant contribution leading to the success of the Technology Solutions Group
- Edison High School Eagle Hall of Honor, Edison High School NJ, April 1997, as outstanding alumnus
- Recognition of an Exemplary Contribution by NASA, May 1994, associated with ILC Dover
- Designing military uniforms with high-tech materials, Military Textiles, edited by E. Wilusz, Woodhead Publishing, May 2008
- Electronic Textile Cables For Advanced Soldier Systems, The Fiber Society Spring 2012 Conference, Fiber Research for Tomorrow’s , Applications, Conference Proceedings, May 25, 2012 with Brian Farrell, Richard Streeter, Michael Morkos, David McDonald
- Development of Nano Grooved Fibers used in Self-Detoxifying Fabrics
- AATCC’s Symposium, Innovations in Nanotechnologies, Composites, and Sports/Military Materials Symposium, April 12, 2007 with Yongwoo Lee, John Puglia, Phil Brown, R. Kenneth Marcus