UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance
ADMINISTRATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 11
To assist the University in managing hazardous materials being purchased, used, stored and disposed of, a uniform requisition process for acquiring all chemicals, hazardous and/or regulated materials and compressed gas cylinders will be utilized. All said purchases must be ordered on separate yellow requisitions and NOT ordered on blanket (green) reservations. The yellow requisitions have an Olney Building, "E.H.S. Hazardous Materials Receiving Stockroom" (OG-10), delivery designated.
This requisition process enables the University to:
- Update the chemical and hazardous material inventory database (C.A.M.E.O. system) on a continuous basis;
- Track "in-house" quantities of chemicals, hazardous, regulated materials, and gas cylinders by college/department, building, room number and user;
- Provide emergency response information to the Fire Department and spill response personnel; and
- Provide chemical date storage information to assure that certain chemical substances do not become unstable due to lengthy shelf life.
Attached is a short explanation of the current requisition process for purchasing chemicals, hazardous and/or regulated materials and compressed gas cylinders.
If further information or clarification is required, please contact the Environmental and Emergency Management Office at x2618, or the Purchasing Department at x3500.
Updated Requisition Process for Chemicals, Hazardous/Regulated Materials and Compressed Gas Cylinders:
- A yellow requisition form must be used exclusively for the purchase of chemicals, hazardous/regulated materials and compressed gas cylinders. No blanket reservation or procard should be used. The form is available from the Purchasing Office at x3500.
- All requisitions for the purchase of chemicals, hazardous/regulated materials, and compressed gas cylinders generated by a department/college/foundation/center must be signed by the responsible Department Chairperson, Director or Dean.
- All yellow requisitions, upon signature of responsible person, must be sent to the Environmental and Emergency Management Office (EEM ) located in Kitson 115, North Campus for review and acknowledgment. Failure to send a yellow requisition to the EEM office will cause delay and rerouting of the requisition by the Purchasing Department.
- Upon review and acknowledgment, the EEM Office will send the yellow requisition to the Purchasing Department, where normal purchasing process will be followed.
- All yellow requisitional materials will be delivered to the Hazardous Materials Receiving Stockroom, located in OG-10, of the Olney Building, N.C., x2543 where receipt and designation (building/department) will be entered into the University's hazardous material inventory computer database by EEM Office staff.
- Materials will be disbursed and delivered to the person and room, as listed and identified on the yellow requisition by trained EEM employees.