There are unique challenges for students in graduate programs. Often, the lifestyle and life stage during graduate school is a highly stressful and focused period, which can put pressure on other areas of graduate students lives, as well as their physical and mental health.
Common challenges that graduate students may experience:
- Procrastination / time management
- Lack of motivation
- Uncertainty in career direction
- Difficulties balancing work / life
- Financial / family hardships
Resources for Graduate Students
- UMass Lowell Career & Co-op Services for Graduate Students: Career counseling staff is available to work with graduate students in all aspects of their career development including internship and job searches.
- UMass Lowell Solution Center - Graduate Student Aide: Information for graduate students on financial aid, teaching assistantships, grants and loans.
- UMass Lowell Graduate Employee Organization: The Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) is a union of graduate employees at UMass Lowell. If you are a teaching assistant (TA), research assistant (RA) or graduate assistant (GA), you are covered by GEO stipends and benefits.
- Modest Advice for New Graduate Students: An article with a list of advice on how to success in graduate school from a graduate.
Content adapted with permission from University of Kentucky Counseling Center.