Music Theory and Aural Skills Pedagogy; Analysis of 18th and 19th Century Music; Omnibus Progression; Enharmonicism; Music and Literacy; Music Perception and Cognition; Alexander Malcolm, early 18th-century Scottish music theorist.
- Ph D: Music Theory, (1993), The Ohio State University - Columbus, Ohio
Supporting Area: Music History
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Enharmonicism in THeory and Practice in 18th-Century Music
- Other: Music Theory, (1985), University of Arizona - Tuscon, Arizona
Supporting Area: Music History
- BA: Music, (1978), SUNY College at Buffalo - Buffalo, NY
Supporting Area: Science, Dance
Selected Awards and Honors
- Outstanding teacher of music theory and/or aural skills (2013), Teaching - Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy Online
- Teacher Award, UMass Lowell. (2010), Teaching - Student Government Association
- University of Massachusetts Lowell Music Department Teaching Award (1998), Teaching - UMass Lowell Music Dept.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude (1985), Scholarship/Research - University of Arizona
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude (1978), Scholarship/Research - S.U.N.Y. College at Buffalo
- Telesco, P.J. (2017). Teaching Rhythms in 3/8 as a Prelude to Teaching 6/8. Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2017). Understanding Undotted and Dotted Notes. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2015). Resolving V7/V to V or V7. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2014). ii7, ii\o7, vs. V7/V. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2014). Spelling Fully-Diminished and Half-Diminished Leading-Tone Seventh Chords. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2014). Spelling Fully-Diminished and Half-Diminished Quality Seventh Chords. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2014). Spelling ii(7) and IV(7) in Major and Minor Keys. Music Theory Pedagogy Online.
- Telesco, P.J. (2013). Teaching elementary aural skills: How current brain research may help. Journal of music theory pedagogy, 27 211--245.
- Telesco, P.J. (2010). Music and Early Literacy. Forum on Public Policy Online, 2010(5).
- Telesco, P.J. (2002). Forward-looking retrospection: Enharmonicism in the classical era. The journal of musicology: A quarterly review of music history, criticism, analysis, and performance practice, 19(2) 332--373.
- Telesco, P.J. (2001). Rethinking the teaching of minor scales and keys. Journal of music theory pedagogy, 15 69--90.
- Telesco, P.J. (2001). The omnibus idea. Music theory spectrum: The journal of the Society for Music Theory, 23(1) 129--136.
- Telesco, P.J., Muttoni, Maria Teresa (Reviewer), . (1999). Enharmonicism and the omnibus progression in Classical era music. Bollettino di analisi e teoria musicale, 6(2) 62--63.
- Telesco, P.J. (1993). Enharmonicism in theory and practice in 18th-century music.
- Telesco, P.J. (1991). Contextual ear training. Journal of music theory pedagogy, 5(2) 179--190.
- Telesco, P.J. (1985). A HARMONIC ANALYSIS OF SELECTED PIANO MUSIC OF EMMANUEL CHABRIER. The University of Arizona.
- Does Retrieval Practice Enhance Music Learning? - Association for Psychological Science Annual Convention, May 2019 - Washington, D.C.
- Application of Retrieval Practice to Piano Music Memorization - North East Music Cognition Group, February 2019 - Harvard University
- Identifying the Unknown Source of a pre-Rameau Harmonic Theorist: Who was Alexander Malcolm’s Mysterious Ghostwriter? - Society for Musicology in Ireland, July 2017 - Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Stylistically Constrained Meter: Differences between Music Composed in 3/4 and 6/8 - College Music Society National Conference, November 2015 - Indianapolis, IN
- Teaching Rhythms in 3/8 as a Prelude to 6/8 - College Music Society Northeast Chapter, March 2015 - Boston, MA
- Teaching Students to Count in Compound Meters: Using 3/8 as a Springboard - UML Faculty Research Symposium, March 2015 - Lowell, MA
- (2007), Grant -