Neurorehabilitation, Gaming for Telerehabilitation, Motion capture outside of laboratory settings, Neuroimaging, Neurocapacity and Behavior Change
Neuroplasticity, Motor rehabilitation, Hemispatial neglect rehabilitation, Virtual reality, constraint-induced movement therapy, Stroke, Multiple sclerosis, Brain injury.
Gauthier's research focuses on harnessing the newest technologies and data analytic techniques to: 1) increase access to treatments for motor disability for under-served populations, 2) track and predict response to motor rehabilitation, and 3) determine how different motor treatments change the brain.
- BA: Neuroscience, Brandeis University - Brandeis, Mass.
- MA: Medical (Clinical) Psychology, University of Alabama, - Birmingham, Ala.
- Ph D: Medical (Clinical) Psychology, University of Alabama - Birmingham, Ala.
Lynne V. Gauthier, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor at The University of Massachusetts, Lowell, and director of the Neurorecovery and Brain Imaging Laboratory. Dr. Gauthier is also a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in rehabilitation. She earned a B.A. in Neuroscience from Brandeis University, received her Ph.D. in Medical (Clinical) Psychology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, completed her clinical internship at Brown University, and began her academic career at The Ohio State University. She has served as a peer reviewer for the American Heart Association, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, NIH, Dana Foundation, and UK Multiple Sclerosis Society. Dr. Gauthier co-chairs the Neuroplasticity working group for the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Her laboratory has secured 7 years of continuous funding from competitive institutes, including the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute and the American Heart Association.
- Gauthier, L., Richter, T., George, L., Schubauer, K. (2018). Gaming for the brain: video gaming to rehabilitate the upper extremity after stroke. Neuromodulation,, 465--476.
- Borstad, A.L., Crawfis, R., Phillips, K., Pax Lowes, L., Maung, D., McPherson, R., Siles, A., Worthen-Chaudhari, L., Gauthier, L. (2018). In-Home Delivery of Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy via Virtual Reality Gaming. Journal of Patient-Centered Research and Reviews, 5(1) 6--17.
- George, S.H., Rafiei, M.H., Gauthier, L., Borstad, A., Buford, J.A., Adeli, H. (2017). Computer-aided prediction of extent of motor recovery following constraint-induced movement therapy in chronic stroke. Behavioural brain research, 329 191--199.
- Gauthier, L., Kane, C., Borstad, A., Strahl, N., Uswatte, G., Taub, E., Morris, D., Hall, A., Arakelian, M., Mark, V. (2017). Video Game Rehabilitation for Outpatient Stroke (VIGoROUS): protocol for a multi-center comparative effectiveness trial of in-home gamified constraint-induced movement therapy for rehabilitation of chronic upper extremity hemiparesis. BMC neurology, 17(1) 109.
- Liang, J., Fuhry, D., Maung, D., Borstad, A., Crawfis, R., Gauthier, L., Nandi, A., Parthasarathy, S. (2016). Data Analytics Framework for A Game-based Rehabilitation System. ACM Press
- Anderson, K.R., Woodbury, M.L., Phillips, K., Gauthier, L. (2015). Virtual Reality Video Games to Promote Movement Recovery in Stroke Rehabilitation: A Guide for Clinicians. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 96(5) 973-976.
- Maung, D., Crawfis, R., Gauthier, L., Worthen-Chaudhari, L., Lowes, L.P., Borstad, A., McPherson, R., Grealy, J., Adams, J. (2014). Development of Recovery Rapids-A game for cost effective stroke therapy.
- Rickards, T., Sterling, C., Taub, E., Perkins-Hu, C., Gauthier, L., Graham, M., Griffin, A., Davis, D., Mark, V.W., Uswatte, G. (2014). Diffusion tensor imaging study of the response to constraint-induced movement therapy of children with hemiparetic cerebral palsy and adults with chronic stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95(3) 506--514.
- Gongvatana, A., Correia, S., Dunsiger, S., Gauthier, L., Devlin, K.N., Ross, S., Navia, B., Tashima, K.T., DeLaMonte, S., Cohen, R.A. (2014). Plasma cytokine levels are related to brain volumes in HIV-infected individuals. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, 9(5) 740--750.
- Maung, D., Crawfis, R., Gauthier, L., Worthen-Chaudhari, L., Lowes, L.P., Borstad, A., McPherson, R. (2013). Games for therapy: Defining a grammar and implementation for the recognition of therapeutic gestures. (pp. 314--321).
- Page, S.J., Gauthier, L., White, S. (2013). Size doesn't matter: cortical stroke lesion volume is not associated with upper extremity motor impairment and function in mild, chronic hemiparesis. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 94(5) 817--821.
- Sterling, C., Taub, E., Davis, D., Rickards, T., Gauthier, L., Griffin, A., Uswatte, G. (2013). Structural neuroplastic change after constraint-induced movement therapy in children with cerebral palsy. Pediatrics, peds--2012.
- Gauthier, L., Taub, E., Mark, V.W., Barghi, A., Uswatte, G. (2012). Atrophy of spared gray matter tissue predicts poorer motor recovery and rehabilitation response in chronic stroke. Stroke, 43(2) 453--457.
- Uswatte, G., Taub, E., Mark, V., Perkins, C., Gauthier, L. (2010). CNS plasticity and rehabilitation. Handbook of Rehabilitation Psychology. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 391--406.
- Gauthier, L., Edward, T. (2010). Constraint-induced movement therapy promotes neuroplasticity after stroke: mechanisms of neuroplasticity. SALUD I CIENCIA, 17(5) 423--427.
- Gauthier, L., Taub, E. (2009). CI therapy: a method for harnessing neuroplastic changes to improve rehabilitation after damage to the brain (pp. 792--799).
- Gauthier, L., Taub, E., Mark, V.W., Perkins, C., Uswatte, G. (2009). Improvement after constraint-induced movement therapy is independent of infarct location in chronic stroke patients. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation, 40(7) 2468.
- Danker, J.F., Hwang, G.M., Gauthier, L., Geller, A., Kahana, M.J., Sekuler, R. (2008). Characterizing the ERP Old--New effect in a short-term memory task. Psychophysiology, 45(5) 784--793.
- Mark, V.W., Taub, E., Perkins, C., Gauthier, L., Uswatte, G. (2008). MRI infarction load and CI therapy outcomes for chronic post-stroke hemiparesis. Restorative neurology and neuroscience, 26(1) 13--33.
- Mark, V., Taub, E., Perkins, C., Gauthier, L., Uswatte, G., Ogorek, J. (2008). Poststroke cerebral peduncular atrophy correlates with a measure of corticospinal tract injury in the cerebral hemisphere. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 29(2) 354--358.
- Sederberg, P.B., Gauthier, L., Terushkin, V., Miller, J.F., Barnathan, J.A., Kahana, M.J. (2006). Oscillatory correlates of the primacy effect in episodic memory. NeuroImage, 32(3) 1422--1431.