Gait rehabilitation; Fall prevention; Cognitive-motor interference; Assistive technology;
- Other: Physical Therapy, (2014), University of Delaware - Newark, DE
Supporting Area: Robotic exoskeletons, FES, and biomechanics: treating movement disorders
- Ph D: Biomechanics, (2009), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Principles of motor adaptation when walking with a powered exoskeleton
- MS: Movement Science, (2003), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Recumbent stepping frequency and neural coping between upper and lower limbs
- BS: Physical Therapy, (2000), National Taiwan University - Taipei, Taiwan
Pei-Chun Kao's research interests are the identification of the general principles of biomechanics and motor control in human walking and the use of that information to develop effective rehabilitation interventions and alternatives. The areas she is specifically interested in are fall prevention, community-based exercise intervention, and wearable devices for biofeedback and assistance.
Selected Awards and Honors
- President's Poster Award (2011) - 35th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics
- Kinesiology Teaching Assistantship (2009) - University of Michigan
- Kinesiology Travel Award (2007) - University of Michigan
- Rackham Graduate School Travel Award (2007), Scholarship/Research - University of Michigan
- Kinesiology Summer Research Fellowship (2005), Scholarship/Research - University of Michigan
- Loverro, K.L., Khuu, A., Kao, P., Lewis, C.L. (2019). Kinematic variability and local dynamic stability of gait in individuals with hip pain and a history of developmental dysplasia. Gait and Posture, 68 545-554.
- Kastroba, B., Wu, Y., Kao, P.C., Stark, C., Yen, S., Roh, J. (2018). Muscle activation pattern during self-propelled treadmill walking. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 30(8) 1069-1072.
- Kao, P., Srivastava, S. (2018). Mediolateral footpath stabilization during walking in people following stroke. PLoS One, 13(11) e0208120.
- Kao, P.C., Pierro, M.A., Booras, K. (2018). Effects of motor fatigue on walking stability and variability during concurrent cognitive challenges. PLoS One, 13(7) e0201433.
- Lydakis, A., Kao, P.C., Begum, M. (2017). Irregular gait detection using wearable sensors. Proceedings of 10th PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments Conference
- Srivastava, S., Kao, P.C., Agrawal, S.K., Scholz, J.P., Higginson, J.S. (2016). Assist-as-needed robotic training as an alternative to therapist-assisted locomotor training for post-stroke gait rehabilitation. International Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 4(5).
- Srivastava, S., Kao, P.C., Reisman, D.S., Higginson , J.S., Scholz, J.P. (2016). Coordination of muscles to the foot position during over-ground walking in neurologically intact individuals and stroke survivors. Experimental Brain Research, 234 1903-14.
- Kao, P.C., Srivistava, S., Higginson, J.S., Agrawal, S.K., Scholz, J.P. (2015). Short-term performance-based error-augmentation versus error-reduction robotic gait training for individuals with chronic stroke: a pilot study. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-International, 2(9) 1066.
- Kao, P.C., Higginson, C.I., Seymour, K., Kamerdze, M., Higginson, J.S. (2015). Walking stability during cell phone use in healthy adults. Gait & posture, 41(4) 947-953.
- Srivastava, S., Kao, P.C., Kim, S.H., Stegall, P., Zanotto, D., Higginson, J., Agrawal, S., Scholz, J. (2014). Assist-as-Needed Robot-Aided Gait Training Improves Walking Function in Individuals Following Stroke. IEEE Transactions On Neural Systems And Rehabilitation Engineering: A Publication Of The IEEE Engineering In Medicine And Biology Society.
- Kao, P.C., Dingwell, J.B., Higginson, J.S., Binder-Macleod, S. (2014). Dynamic instability during post-stroke hemiparetic walking. Gait & posture, 40(3) 457-463.
- Kao, P.C., Srivastava, S., Agrawal, S.K., Scholz, J.P. (2013). Effect of robotic performance-based error-augmentation versus error-reduction training on the gait of healthy individuals. Gait & posture, 37(1) 113–120.
- Kao, P.C., Srivastava, S., Agrawal, S.K., Scholz, J.P. (2011). ROBOTIC PERFORMANCE-BASED RESISTANCE VERSUS ASSISTANCE FOR LEARNING OF A NOVEL GAIT PATTERN WITH A ROBOTIC EXOSKELETON.
- Kao, P.C., Lewis, C.L., Ferris, D.P. (2010). Invariant ankle moment patterns when walking with and without a robotic ankle exoskeleton. Journal of biomechanics, 43(2) 203–209.
- Kao, P.C., Lewis, C.L., Ferris, D.P. (2010). Joint kinetic response during unexpectedly reduced plantar flexor torque provided by a robotic ankle exoskeleton during walking. Journal of biomechanics, 43(7) 1401–1407.
- Kao, P.C., Lewis, C.L., Ferris, D.P. (2010). Short-term locomotor adaptation to a robotic ankle exoskeleton does not alter soleus Hoffmann reflex amplitude. Journal of neuroengineering and rehabilitation, 7(1) 33.
- Kao, P.C., Ferris, D.P. (2009). Motor adaptation during dorsiflexion-assisted walking with a powered orthosis. Gait & posture, 29(2) 230–236.
- Ferris, D.P., Huang, H.J., Kao, P.C. (2006). Moving the arms to activate the legs. Exercise and sport sciences reviews, 34(3) 113–120.
- Kao, P.C., Ferris, D.P. (2005). The effect of movement frequency on interlimb coupling during recumbent stepping. Motor control, 9(2) 144–163.
- Inter-joint coordination and movement decomposition during walking in individuals with post-stroke hemiparesis - 26th Ann. Met. Society for the Neural Control of Movement, 2016 - Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Walking stability during cognitive tasks in healthy adults - 11th Annual Biomechanics Research Symposium, 2014 - Newark, DE
- Footpath variability during swing phase of gait following stroke - 24th Ann. Met. Society for the Neural Control of Movement, 2014 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Coordination of muscles to control the foot position during over-ground walking in healthy elderly and stroke survivors - 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, 2014 - Boston, MA
- Walking stability during cognitive tasks in healthy adults - 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, 2014 - Boston, MA
- Robot-aided assist-as-needed gait training vs Body weight supported treadmill training post-stroke - Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society meeting, 2014 - Newark, DE
- Walking instability following stroke can be revealed by dynamic stability analyses - 18th Ann. Met. Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society (GCMAS), 2013 - Cincinnati, OH
- Coordination of leg muscles related to footpath stabilization during over groundwalking post-stroke - 23rd Ann. Met. Society for the Neural Control of Movement, 2013 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Quantifying walking stability after stroke - 42nd Ann. Met. Society for Neuroscience, 2012 - New Orleans, LA
- Error-enhancement gait training with a robotic exoskeleton: a pilot study after stroke - 35th Ann. Met. American Society of Biomechanics, 2011 - Long Beach, CA
- Robotic performance-based resistance versus assistance for learning of a novel gait pattern with a robotic exoskeleton - 35th Ann. Met. American Society of Biomechanics, 2011 - Long Beach, CA
- Effect of robotic performance-based error-enhancement versus assist-as-needed training on the gait pattern of healthy individuals - 8th Annual Biomechanics Research Symposium, 2011 - Newark, DE
- Plantar flexor reflex response to a perturbation during human walking maintains ankle joint torque pattern - 33rd Ann. Met. American Society of Biomechanics, 2009 - State College, PA
- Invariant ankle moment patterns with plantar flexor assistance from a powered ankle orthosis - North American Congress on Biomechanics, 2008 - Ann Arbor, MI
- Motor response during unexpectedly reduced plantar flexor torque provided by a powered orthosis during walking - North American Congress on Biomechanics, 2008 - Ann Arbor, MI
- Motor adaptation during dorsiflexion-assisted walking with a powered orthosis - 31st Ann. Met. American Society of Biomechanics, 2007 - Stanford, CA
- Motor adaptation during dorsiflexion-assisted walking with a powered orthosis - 5th World Congress of Biomechanics, 2006 - Munich, Germany
- Potential therapeutic benefits of self-assisted stepping - 27th Ann. Met. American Society of Biomechanics, 2003 - Toledo, OH
- Motion analysis of even and uneven transfer in paraplegia - 44th Academic Conference of Formosan Physical Therapy Association, 2003 - Tainan, Taiwan