The Advanced Course
Selected students, who meet qualification standards, may enter the Advanced Course. The Advanced Course taught during the third and fourth years, includes such topics as management theory, personal and performance counseling, ethics, professionalism, written and verbal communications, military law, law of war, and study of military tactics. The main objective of the Advanced Course is to develop leaders to be officers in the U.S. Army.
The Advanced Course provides both classroom instruction and hands on learning experiences.
The specific goals of the Advanced Course are:
- Prepare cadets to successfully complete the Leadership Development and Assessment Course
- Prepare cadets to lead and train Basic Course cadets
- Enable cadets to make informed decisions as to component (Active vs. Reserve) and branch (job) in the Army
- Develop leadership and managerial skills
- Prepare cadets for success at the Officer Basic Course (upon graduation)
- The Advanced Course is open to qualified cadets who have completed the Basic Course (or received credit for the Basic Course). Cadets do incur a military commitment upon entrance into the Advanced Course.
(All Advanced Course Cadets receive a stipend of $350 per month MS III year and $400 a month MS IV year.)
For the latest course information, including descriptions, degree pathways and more please consult the UMass Lowell online Academic Catalog.