By Anne Maglia
The Office of Research and Innovation is committed to supporting faculty in their research, scholarship and creative works. By means of offering financial assistance for a range of academic pursuits, we are pleased to introduce the UML Researchers and Scholars Investment (RSI) Fund. The awards are meant to support faculty in their professional trajectory, providing opportunities to test new ideas, implement initiatives and strengthen their skills and craft. These funds are meant to provide immediate assistance for short-term projects and goals that will provide great benefit to the scholar, their team and the university.
Examples of appropriate use of funds include:
- Collecting preliminary data
- Subscription to a digital tool or resource
- Hiring an editor for a new book
- Purchasing supplies for an art installation
- Support for student travel to a conference
Applicants should demonstrate the direct benefit to the individual researcher/scholar and the university. Priority for funding is given to projects that directly support the UML 2028 Strategic Plan and include opportunities for engagement, participation and collaboration with students, colleagues, departments and/or external partners.
Anticipated Funding Amount
The RSI Fund will award up to $3,000 per project and up to 30 projects per fiscal year. Applications are accepted twice per fiscal year, once in the Fall semester and once in the Spring semester.
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty are eligible to apply
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have no other available source of funding including startup funds, research investment funds (RIF), etc.
- Funds are awarded for a one-year period
- Funds may not be used for summer salary or other additional compensation for faculty
- Funds may not be used to fund Research Assistants/tuition waivers (funds may support student hourly wages)
The deadline for the FY24 Fall semester is Friday, Oct. 20, 2023 by 11:59 p.m. Applicants must complete the brief application through InfoReady.
Please download and review the complete set of guidelines for the RSI fund under "Supporting Documents" on the InfoReady page.
Please email VCRI@uml.edu for any questions. Thank you.