Materials science, self-healing materials, additive manufacturing (i.e. 3D printing) techniques
Additive manufacturing (i.e. 3D printing) techniques, multifunctional materials, fiber-reinforced composite materials, composites processing, microvascular materials, automated composites manufacturing
- Ph D: Materials Science and Engineering, (2011), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Champaign, IL
- BS: Materials Engineering, (2005), Iowa State University - Ames, IA
Supporting Area: Polymers, ceramics, and metals. Minors in Astronomy and German
Prof. Hansen has four primary research areas: additive manufacturing/3D printing, composites manufacturing/processing, safer materials/toxics use reduction, and engineering education. In the classroom, he instructs the undergraduate Materials Science for Engineers (MECH 2960) and Capstone Design (MECH 4230) courses and the graduate Processing of Composites (MECH 5970) and Experimental Characterization of Composites (MECH 5980) courses.
- Hansen, C.J. (2020). Chapter 2 - 3D and 4D printing of nanomaterials: Processing considerations for reliable printed nanocomposites (pp. 25 - 44). Elsevier
- Liu, X., Alizadeh, V., Hansen, C.J. (2020). The compressive response of octet lattice structures with carbon fiber composite hollow struts. Composite Structures, 239 111999.
- Morris, J., Hansen, C.J., Amirkhizi, A.V. (2019). Improved approximation of transverse and shear stiffness for high volume fraction uniaxial composites. Mechanics of Materials, 129 230 - 235.
- Awad, R.H., Habash, S.A., Hansen, C.J. (2018). Chapter 2 - 3D Printing Methods (pp. 11 - 32). Academic Press
- Willis, D., Niezrecki, C., Kuchma, D., Hines, E., Arwade, S., Barthelmie, R., DiPaola, M., Drane, P., Hansen, C., Inalpolat, M., Mack, J., Myers, A., Rotea, M. (2018). Wind energy research: State-of-the-art and future research directions. Renewable Energy, 125 133 - 154.
- Shah, P.N., Dev, S., Lee, Y., Hansen, C.J. (2017). Processing and Mechanical Properties of Bio-Derived Vinyl Ester Resin-Based Composites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, (13).
- Dev, S., Shah, P.N., Zhang, Y., Ryan, D.K., Hansen, C.J., Lee, Y. (2017). Synthesis and mechanical properties of flame retardant vinyl ester resin for structural composites. Polymer, 133 20 - 29.
- Barry, C.P., Morose, G.J., Begin, K., Atwater, M., Hansen, C.J. (2017). The identification and screening of lower toxicity solvents for contact adhesives. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 78 174 - 181.
- Sherwood, J.A., Hansen, C.J., DRANE, P., Gorczyca, J.L., WHITE, K., Reynaud, E., others, . (2016). An Overview of the NIST FIBERS Roadmap to Advance the State of Composites Manufacturing in the US.
- Azhar, F., Tite, K., Johnston, S.P., Hansen, C.J., Shina, S.G., Schiano, A.M., Willis, D.J. (2016). Hands-on made 4 ME: Deploying, using, developing and evaluating desktop computer numerical controlled (CNC) systems in the engineering classroom (2016-June:). ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings
- Dangora, L.M., Hansen, C.J., Mitchell, C.J., Sherwood, J.A., Parker, J.C. (2015). Challenges associated with shear characterization of a cross-ply thermoplastic lamina using picture frame tests. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 78 181 - 190.
- Vaillant, J.J., Hansen, C.J., Stolk, J., Johnston, S.P., Shina, S.G., Willis, D.J. (2015). Design and implementation of an inexpensive laboratory for providing hands-on design prototyping and manufacturing experiences to engineering students (122nd ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition: Making Value for Society:). American Society for Engineering Education
- Fetfatsidis, K.A., Dropkin, A., Dahlstrand, P., Hansen, C.J., Poillucci, R., Olson, B. (2014). Microvascular composites for thermal management (1: pp. Aerospace Division - ). ASME 2014 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, SMASIS 2014
- Sitte, V., Poillucci, R.A., Hansen, C.J. (2014). Processing of degradable polymer fibers for microvascular pathways. Proceedings of the American Society for Composites - 29th Technical Conference, ASC 2014; 16th US-Japan Conference on Composite Materials; ASTM-D30 Meeting
- Poillucci, R., Hansen, C.J. (2013). Reducing styrene monomers in unsaturated polyester resins. 19th International Conference on Composite Materials
- Collaborative Research: I/UCRC for Wind Energy, Science, Technology, and Research (WindSTAR) (2014), Grant - National Science Foundation and company members
Sherwood, J.A., Avitabile, P., Niezrecki, C., Hansen, C.J., Willis, D.J.
- Science Program Around Communication Engineering with High Achieving Undergraduate Cadres (SPACE HAUC): UMass Lowell's Undergraduate Science Instrument Project (2016), Grant - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hansen, C.J. (Co-Principal), Chakrabarti, S. (Principal)
- Early Career Faculty Award: Design and Fabrication of Aerospace-Grade Digital Composite Materials (2014), Grant - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hansen, C.J. (Principal)
- Automated Manufacture of Damage-Detecting, Self-Healing Composite for Cryogenic Pressure Vessels (2015), Grant - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hansen, C.J. (Principal)
- Facilitating Industry By Engineering, Roadmapping and Science (FIBERS) to Advance (2014), Grant - National Institute of Standards and Technology
Hansen, C.J. (Co-Principal), Sherwood, J.A. (Principal), Reynaud, E. (Co-Principal), Gorczyca, J.L. (Co-Principal), Chen, J. (Co-Principal)
- Lowell Tex: Embracing Lowell's Cultural, Historical, and Educational Assets to Create Pathways to STEM (2015), Grant - UMass President's Office
Hansen, C.J. (Co-Principal), Kuhn, S. (Principal), Kazmer, D.O. (Co-Principal), Reynaud, E. (Co-Principal), Levasseur, K.M. (Co-Principal), Scribner-Maclean, M. (Co-Principal)
- Team UML-WIND 2016 (2015), Grant - U.S. Department Of Energy
Hansen, C.J. (Co-Principal), Willis, D.J. (Principal), Johnston, S.P. (Co-Principal), Niezrecki, C. (Co-Principal), Darish, M. (Co-Principal)
- 2015 Wind Energy Research Workshop (2015), Grant - National Science Foundation
Hansen, C.J. (Co-Principal), Willis, D.J. (Principal), Sherwood, J.A. (Co-Principal), Niezrecki, C. (Co-Principal), Inalpolat, M. (Co-Principal)
- Hands-on Machining, Analysis and Design Experiences for Mechanical Engineers (2013), Grant - NSF TUES program
Johnston, S.P., Willis, D.J., Hansen, C.J., Shina, S.G.