WindSTAR is an NSF-funded Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Wind Energy, Science, Technology and Research. A collaboration between UMass Lowell and the University of Texas at Dallas, the Center aims to solve the pressing needs of the wind industry.
The university collaborators in WindSTAR bring significant experience, expertise and resources to perform research in the following areas:
- Composites and Blade Manufacturing
- Foundations and Towers
- Structural Health Monitoring, Non-Destructive Inspection, & Testing
- Wind Farm Modeling and Measurement Campaign
- Control Systems for Turbines and Farms
- Energy Storage and Grid Integration
The mission of WindSTAR is to bring together university and industry researchers to conduct basic and applied research on topics important to wind industry members. The Center combines capabilities, facilities, and knowledge to execute projects of interest to industry partners, train students in advanced technologies, and foster a community for industry/university networking and collaboration.