WindSTAR is an NSF-funded Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Wind Energy, Science, Technology and Research. A collaboration between UMass Lowell and the University of Texas at Dallas, the Center aims to solve the pressing needs of the wind industry. The Center has partnered with Iowa State University, the Maine Wind Industry Alliance, and Kid Wind to help support the research activities.
The university collaborators in WindSTAR bring significant experience, expertise and resources to perform research in the following areas:
- Composites and Blade Manufacturing
- Foundations and Towers
- Structural Health Monitoring, Non-Destructive Inspection, & Testing
- Wind Farm Modeling and Measurement Campaign
- Control Systems for Turbines and Farms
- Energy Storage and Grid Integration