Property & Asset Management

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my responsibility regarding inventory?

It is the general responsibility of all members of the faculty and administration to help ensure the proper use, care, maintenance and safekeeping of all property under the control of their respective units.

What does my department's Inventory Coordinator do?

Each department has an assigned Inventory Coordinator. S/he is the liaison between the department employees and the Property Office for inventory matters. Inventory Coordinators assist in the maintenance of inventory controls over equipment in their areas with the direct support of the Property Office. Responsibilities include affixing the tag to non-capital equipment and periodic confirmation of non-capital and capital equipment inventory.

What needs to be inventoried?

It is the policy of the UMass Lowell campus to maintain and control all capital equipment greater than $5,000.00 and non-capital equipment greater than $1,000.00 and less than $4,999.99. This includes equipment obtained by purchase, capital lease and gifts/donations. Please note this also includes equipment purchased with professional development funds. 

What is the difference between Capital, and Non-Capital Equipment?

Capital Equipment is all equipment that is not permanently affixed to buildings, has a useful life greater than five, seven, 10 and 12 years. Equipment with a cost greater than $5,000 will be assigned a University Yellow C Tag, a Research Foundation Red R Tag or Government Green G Tag. A unit of equipment is being defined as an individual item or a group of items (i.e. a computer system is generally comprised of three pieces: a computer, monitor and keyboard) which is usable for its intended function and which cannot be separated without diminishment in the usability of the item for its intended purpose.

Non-Capital Equipment includes equipment that does not meet capital equipment specifications because its unit cost is between $1,000.00 and $4,999.99. Non-capital equipment will be assigned a University Blue N Tag, a Research Foundation Red R Tag or a Government Green G Tag. 

How does equipment get tagged and added to the inventory?

The Property Office receives information through a feed that occurs every Wednesday evening from the Peoplesoft Asset Management 8.9 System, on all paid equipment purchases. Gifts and donations that are properly received through the Office of Development. However, to ensure that all capital and non-capital equipment is tagged in a timely fashion, please notify the Property Office of all on-site deliveries. Inventory staff will affix a tag as soon as possible. Inventory staff will affix a tag to capital equipment. For non-capital equipment, a tag will be mailed to the department's Inventory Coordinator.

How is equipment valued for inventory purposes?

For purchased equipment, the value is the net amount paid through accounts payable, which is the invoice price less all discounts (except trade-in allowances). Freight, on-floor delivery and installation costs are also included.  Please note if software is purchased as part of or in conjunction with an equipment purchase, then its cost is to be included in the cost of the computer equipment.

For equipment on a capital lease, the inventory value is the stated cash sales price at the inception of the lease.

For equipment given as a gift/donation, the value is the appraised market value at the time of donation. The valuation of fabricated equipment includes all identifiable costs such as drawings, blueprints, component parts, materials and supplies consumed in fabrication, labor and installation.

What is the process for taking University property off-campus?

University property may only be taken off campus for University business. An Approval for Home Use of University Equipment (pdf) form must be obtained from the Purchasing Office website regardless if it's for capital or non-capital equipment and regardless of length of time property is to be off-campus.

Include in the body of your request: name, department, interoffice mail address, fax (if available) and inventory tag numbers of the (Yellow C Tag, Blue N Tag, Red R Tag or Green G Tag) of the item(s) that you will be taking off-campus.

Please carry a copy of the Approval for Home Use of University Equipment (pdf) form with you when removing or returning property. The University Police have the right to stop any individual and request to see their Approval for Home Use of University Equipment form. University property removed from campus without Approval for Home Use of University Equipment form may be assumed stolen property until authorization is confirmed.

What is the process for changing the permanent on-campus location of equipment?

The Property Office records changes for capital and non-capital equipment. Notify the Property Office if the equipment you want to move has a yellow, blue, red or green tag. Use the applicable portion of the Change of Property Department/Location (pdf) form and send to Property Office (form does not need to be signed if the responsible department is not changing).

What is the process for transferring equipment directly to another department?

The Property Office records changes for capital and non-capital equipment. Notify the Property Office if the equipment you want to move has a yellow, blue, red or green tag. Use the applicable portion of the Change of Property Department/Location (pdf) form and send to Property Office (form must be signed by the disposing and receiving department heads).

What if I return equipment to the vendor or trade-in for another piece of equipment?

Fill out the applicable portion of the form, Return or Trade-In of Property (pdf), and send to Property Office (form must be signed be your Inventory Coordinator or department head).

What if equipment is lost or stolen?

It is the responsibility of all University personnel and students to report losses or theft of property to the University Police. The University Police notify the Property Office of reported thefts and any subsequent discoveries of property.

What do I do with unwanted equipment?

Property must not be thrown out or given away by anyone without authorization from the Property Office. Please be aware that it is the individual department’s responsibility to store and secure unwanted property until a disposal determination is made and if there is a disposal cost the department may also be asked to bear the cost. When purchasing new equipment, trade-in old equipment if possible. Do not put any unwanted equipment in corridors or other common areas. Fill out the appropriate form for usable (pdf) or unusable (pdf) property. The Property Office staff may inspect the property. Depending on storage availability, the property will either remain in the department or be brought to Central Receiving or the EHS department (Environmental Health and Safety) until disposition determination has been made. 

When property is deemed usable it will be moved to Central Receiving and when it is deemed unusable it will be picked up by the EHS department for recycling.

How can I find out about obtaining surplus property from other departments or state agencies?

The Property Office prepares a list of all of the usable University surplus property to promote the reuse of property within the University. This list is currently available on an inquiry basis by contacting the Property Administrator. Property not claimed from the list after a reasonable period of time may be listed on the State Surplus Property Memo.

The State Surplus Property Memo is a listing of all surplus property throughout the state. An explanation of the State Surplus Property Memo condition codes and a review of the process for requesting state surplus property are also available.

How do I ask an inventory question that is not on this list?

If your inventory question is not listed on this page please email your question to Property Representatives or Your questions will be addressed promptly.