Welcome to the Career Peer Program!
- What is a Career Peer?
- How do Career Peers deliver services to other UMass Lowell students?
- Why become a Career Peer?
- How do I Apply?
WhatWhat is a Career Peer?
Career Peers serve as an extension of the Career & Co-op Center professional staff. They receive extensive training in resume reviews, cover letter writing, job search skills and interview tips. They are educated on career related events and services to assist UMass Lowell students with career development needs. Career Peers are ambassadors of the Career & Co-op Center and are sometimes the first person a student meets with regarding their career development while at UMass Lowell.
HowHow do Career Peers deliver services to other UMass Lowell students?
Career Peers provide services daily during drop-in hours at the Career & Co-op Center (located in UCC 450). Drop-in hours allow UMass Lowell students to meet with a Career Peer on topics including resume and cover letter writing, initial job search exploration and interview tips for 15 minutes with no appointment necessary. Career Peers work in shifts (usually 2-3 hours at a time) to cover drop-in hours Monday through Friday during the Fall and Spring semesters.
WhyWhy become a Career Peer?
Career Peers have the opportunity to enhance their leadership abilities and develop transferable skills while supporting the goals of the Career & Co-op Center and UMass Lowell students. As a Career Peer you will:
- Participate in leadership activities and training
- Learn to effectively market your degree and skills
- Gain valuable communication, active listening, presenting and counseling skills
- Build your resume
- Obtain knowledge of the Career & Co-op Center services and resources
- Assist fellow UMass Lowell students and make a positive impact
applyHow do I apply to the Career Peer Program?
We’re looking for:
- Students who enjoy working with and assisting others.
- Excellent communication skills -- both verbal and written.Individuals with strong time management and organizational skills.
- Students who are self-motivated, have a positive attitude, and like to get things done are highly desirable candidates.
- Our office maintains private information about students, so you’ll be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Career Peers need to maintain a minimum 3.000 GPA per semester and cumulatively.
- You’ll score bonus points if you have a high attention to detail, outstanding interpersonal skills, are a fast learner, can follow processes and procedures, experienced with MS Office, have worked in an office environment, and are savvy with social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs, etc.).
- Previous or current UMass Lowell campus involvement is a plus but not required.
You’ll need to be available 5 to 10 hours a week. The program is proposed to run daily from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Career Peers will be expected to cover a shift potentially from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. or 1-4 p.m. In addition, we ask for occasional evening commitments for events and training.
This is a high visibility role and will pay $13/hour.
HOW TO APPLY
Login to JobHawk for the full application. You will need to submit your resume, cover letter and complete the questionnaire. Applications are now opened. Please email CareerPeerApp@uml.edu if you have any questions regarding the application process.