By Joseph Hartman
This annual award is dedicated to acknowledging the work of our most esteemed and accomplished faculty members and celebrating the values of academic excellence that we share as a community. The purpose of this award is to acknowledge significant accomplishments achieved over the course of a successful academic career, rather than to identify junior faculty who have potential for future accomplishments.
Any UMass Lowell faculty member may nominate a tenured full professor for the award. Each nomination must consist of the nominee’s CV and a two- to three-page letter justifying the nomination. Self-nominations are permitted.
Criteria for selection will mirror the criteria for promotion to full professor:
1. Exemplary teaching, as attested by faculty chair reports and student evaluations;
2. Outstanding research productivity, as documented by scholarly publications, external grants and/or sponsored research that have generated professional acclaim;
3. Extraordinary service that has advanced the university mission of outreach to support the economic, social, cultural, health and/or education development of the region.
Per the Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) contract, the selection committee will consist of: The Provost (or designee), the MSP President (or designee) and a third person selected annually by agreement between the Provost and MSP President. Individuals nominated but not selected in a given year will retain active consideration without need for re-nomination for three years.
The individual selected as University Professor will receive an annual salary supplement of $10,000 as well as one course reduction for each semester during the term of the appointment. The individual’s department will also receive an annual allocation of $10,000.00 to cover the approximate $5,000 cost of a replacement adjunct instructor each semester. The individual selected must agree to deliver a university-wide lecture during the first year of the appointment.
Deadline for Nominations: Friday, Oct. 6, 2023
Submit Nomination Materials to: Shaima_Ragab@uml.edu
Notification of Winner: October 2023
Previous and Current University Professors:
• Susan Braunhut, Biological Sciences, 2008-2011
• Kenneth Geiser, Work Environment, 2009-2012
• Robert Giles, Physics and Applied Physics, 2010-2013
• Regina Panasuk, Graduate School of Education, 2011-2014
• Stephen McCarthy, Plastics Engineering, 2012-2015
• Laura Punnett, Work Environment, 2013-2016
• Pradeep Kurup, Civil Engineering, 2014-2017
• Holly Yanco, Computer Science, 2015-2018
• Robert Forrant, History, 2016-2019
• Joey Mead, Plastics Engineering, 2017-2020
• Meg Bond, Psychology, 2018-2021
• William Moylan, Music, 2019-2022
• Christopher Niezrecki, Mechanical Engineering, 2020-2023
• Katherine Tucker, Biomed & Nutritional Sciences, 2021-2024
• Ramaswamy Nagarajan, Plastics Engineering, 2022-2025