By Joseph C. Hartman
The pending retirement of the dean of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences, as well as the departure of our dean of the Manning School of Business, create an important transition in the senior leadership of UMass Lowell. Today I am pleased to share our plans for identifying the next leaders of these two colleges.
First of all, we are indebted to Dean Shortie McKinney, who has transformed the College of Health Sciences, and thank her for nearly 50 years in higher education and health care. We are just as grateful for the leadership of Dean Sandra Richtermeyer and wish her the very best as she begins her next chapter as provost at Rutgers University - Camden.
We are fortunate to have assembled outstanding committees to find their replacements. Each comprises members of the faculty, staff and alumni, and each represents a broad range of perspectives and depth of experience.
I am confident these outstanding committees will help lead us to outstanding deans.
Chairing the search for the next dean of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences will be Jim Sherwood, dean of the Francis College of Engineering, and Lowell General Hospital President and UMass Lowell alumna Amy Hoey. We are grateful to both for their leadership and insights, as we are to other members of the committee, whose members are listed below. We are especially pleased for the assistance of UMass Lowell alumni and benefactors Donna Manning and Alan D. Solomont. We have secured the services of Storbeck Search/Diversified Search to lead this search.
Leading the search for the next dean of the Manning School of Business are Noureddine Melikechi, dean of the Kennedy College of Sciences, and Robert Manning, alumnus, benefactor and former chairman of the UMass System Board of Trustees. We are also pleased for the participation of alumni and benefactors Brian Rist and John Pulichino, as well as Lorna Boucher, chair of the Manning School Advisory Board. The firm Isaacson Miller will oversee this search.
Both committees will convene this week to start the process. While we are all eager for the result, I am confident both committees will conduct diligent, thorough and thoughtful searches to select these two important leads for our university.
Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences Dean’s Search Committee
- Jim Sherwood, dean, Francis College of Engineering (co-chair)
- Amy Hoey, ’88, president, Lowell General Hospital, and member, Zuckerberg College Advisory Board (co-chair)
- Emily Byrne, ’02, ’04, executive director, Advancement Operations & Strategic Initiatives
- Comfort Enah, Donna Manning endowed chair, Nursing
- Ewaldine (Shakira) Fedna, academic affairs chair, Student Government Association
- Michelle Hunt, assistant teaching professor, Biomedical & Nutritional Sciences
- Patricia MacCulloch, clinical associate professor, Nursing
- Donna Manning ’85, ’91, ’11 (h), member, Zuckerberg College Advisory Board
- Jeffrey Moore, ’91, ’93, professor, Biological Sciences
- Julie Nash, vice provost, Academic Affairs
- Mary Ann Picard, executive director, Innovation & New Ventures
- Susan Puryear, associate vice chancellor, Research Administration, Integrity and Development
- Serena Rajabiun, assistant professor, Public Health
- Ruben Sança, ’09, ’11, director, Student Life and Wellbeing
- Alan D. Solomont, ’77, ’94 (H), dean emeritus, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life, Tufts University
- Katherine Tucker, distinguished university professor, Biomedical & Nutritional Sciences
- Yi-Ning (Winnie) Wu, associate professor and interim chair, Physical Therapy and Kinesiology
Manning School of Business Dean’s Search Committee
- Noureddine Melikechi, dean, Kennedy College of Sciences (co-chair)
- Robert Manning, ’84, ’11 (H), former chairman, UMass Board of Trustees (co-chair)
- Derek Berger, associate vice chancellor, Development
- Lorna Boucher, ’86, chair, Manning School Advisory Board
- Deborah Casey, ’13, assistant teaching professor, Marketing, Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Huimin (Amy) Chen, assistant professor, Accounting
- Michael Ciuchta, associate professor, Marketing, Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- David Claudio, associate professor, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Karoline Evans, assistant professor, Management
- Saira Latif, associate professor, Finance
- David Levine, finance chair, Student Government Association
- Nancy Ludwig, dean, Division of Graduate, Online & Professional Studies
- Luvai Motiwalla, professor, Operations & Information Systems
- Arlene Parquette, associate vice chancellor, Industry Partnerships & Economic Development
- John Pulichino, ’67, ’14 (H), member, Manning School Advisory Board
- Brian Rist, ’77, ’22 (H), member, Manning School Advisory Board