Mary Jo Leahey Symphonic Band Camp
Applications for the UMass Lowell - Mary Jo Leahey Symphonic Band Camp are accepted through June 28.
Camp dates are July 14-20, 2013.
Finale Concert: Saturday July 20, 2013
Durgin Concert Hall, South Campus, at 12 p.m.
Begin Your Summer on a High-Note
For the 17th year, the Department of Music at UMass Lowell is offering a camp for talented students who have a passion for music. In 2013, it will be held from July 14 through July 20.
Please go to the application page to download and mail in your application.
2012 Rehearsal & World Premiere Featuring Robert W. Smith
This year our finale concert featured the world premiere of the newest composition "Earhart: Sounds of Courage" by Robert W. Smith, dedicated in memoriam to Mary Jo Leahey. Mr. Smith joined us for an unforgettable rehearsal and truly inspired us all to "paint the sky orange." Students were thrilled to learn from this master educator whose compositions are well known in the wind band world.
Thank you for joining us for the 2012 world premiere of "Earhart; Sounds of Courage" at the Mary Jo Leahey ’37 Symphonic Band Camp Finale Concert!
Our Founding Visionary Mary Jo passed away in November 2011. A great spirit with a kind soul and generous heart, Mary Jo was an inspiration to the thousands of students who have passed through the program. We shall miss her enthusiasm, her great love of music and of children.
Thank you for joining us for the 2009 world premiere of "Reminiscent Rhapsody" at the Mary Jo Leahey ’37 Symphonic Band Camp Finale Concert!
James Hosay, international wind-band composer and decorated veteran (staff arranger for Pershing’s Own), was the special guest conductor at the 2009 Mary Jo Leahey Symphonic Band Camp concert. Commissioned to write a work for the ensemble by Executive Director/Conductor Deb Huber, Hosay wrote the Gershwin-styled original composition “Reminiscent Rhapsody” and conducted the world premiere at the concert.
Mary Jo Leahey Symphonic Band Camp applications are accepted until June 28, 2013.
This one-week, intensive band camp is for students who have completed the eighth grade, but have not yet entered college. All students have an opportunity to audition for scholarships. At the camp, students will improve their individual skills and broaden their own musical experience in a shared environment of teamwork and learning.
For the low price of $465 and a registration fee of $85, students receive:
- Tuition, food and housing
- Locker for instrument (bring a combination lock)
- 24 hour security
- Access to pool
- Camp t-shirt
- And a lifetime of memories...
Read Quotes from Symphonic Band Camp
- Several concerts featuring guest performers.
- Master class clinics by professional musicians.
- Various camp ensembles in performance.
- Volleyball, cookouts, and swimming.
- The Grand Finale Concert!!!
Ensembles & Classes are Selected from the following:
- Concert Band
- Mixed Chamber Ensemble (Trios, Quartets and Quintets)
- Jazz Bands (small jazz, big band, jazz ensemble)
- History of Rock & Roll
- Brass Choir, Flute Choir, Clarinet Choir, French Horn Choir
- Intro to Percussion (for non-percussionists)
- Percussion Ensemble
- Honor's Wind Ensemble
- Score analysis (learn to read and analyze music scores)
- Contemporary Horns for Everyone (Jazz, Funk, Fusion, Bop~sounds of EWF, Chicago, Tower of Power, Blood, Sweat & Tears
- An Introduction to Sound Recording Technology
- Arranging with Computers (using Finale)
- Introduction to Guitar (guitars supplied, may bring your own)
- Colors of Sound (ear training & sound identification)
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Symphonic Band Camp
Debra-Nicole Huber, Executive Director
UMass Lowell Department of Music
35 Wilder St.
Lowell, MA 01854
Contact Debra-Nicole Huber
Future Camps Dates:
2014: July 13-19
2015: July 12-18
2016: July 17-23
(l-r) David Martins, Conductor; Debra-Nicole Huber, Conductor and Executive Director; Daniel P. Lutz, Conductor; and Mary Jo Leahey, Founding Visionary.