Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Student must be Pell Eligible.
- Parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer.
- Be under the age of 24 OR enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the Hero's death.
- Scholarship is renewable as long as the student is Pell eligible and enrolled.
- Applications without proper documentation will not be reviewed.
Full Pell grant award (amount varies by academic year and enrollment). All federal aid will also be based on a zero EFC.
Documentation (Submit ONE of the following):
- Documentation from a credible source that describes or reports the circumstances of the death and the occupation of the parent or guardian.
- A letter of attestation or determination made by a state or local government official with supervisory or other relevant oversight authority of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
- A letter acknowledging eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the Department of Justice;
- Documentation of the student qualifying for a state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety officer consistent with the definition in 42 U.S.C. 3796b, or as a fire police officer as noted above;
Submit all documentation with a cover letter to:
220 Pawtucket St., Suite 280,
Lowell, MA 01854-5141