Preparing the next generation of student leaders
Exclusive to First-Year students, this Living-Learning Community will empower participants to explore various majors and career options, as well as the academic support resources that will help them find success at the University. The River Hawk Scholars Academy Living-Learning Community focuses on providing students with intentional community-building, while helping them to get settled in their new home-away-from-home. Through engaging with this LLC experience, students will learn about campus resources, get connected, involved and engaged across the institution, and learn to navigate both our university as well as the City of Lowell and all they have to offer. This LLC experience will provide students opportunities to build and develop practical and tangible academic and social skills that will aid them in their college journey, while also being able to explore different disciplines and areas of study that they are passionate about. Students will have the opportunity to live with their peers and have access to faculty and staff members who will aid in their transitional experience over the course of the academic year.
This LLC is sponsored by the Office of the Provost.
As a result of living in the River Hawk Scholar Academy Living-Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to…
- Recognize the essential requirements of the Core Curriculum and the University’s Essential Learning Outcomes.
- Utilize resources provided by the university that will promote academic success (e.g., Advising requirements/expectations, Course Registration, Tutoring, Study Prep, the Academic Advisors from the Centers for Learning, Career Counselors from the Career & Co-Op Center, Internships, Resume/Cover Letter Writing, etc.).
- Develop meaningful relationships through networking opportunities with faculty, staff, alumni and peers that will promote career development.
- Discover effective organization and time management techniques that will enhance study skills and promote academic success.
- Identify connections within the City of Lowell that will further develop them as engaged UMass Lowell community members.
- Explore diverse social issues impacting today’s college students.