The Explore LLC focuses on providing first-year students with intentional community-building while allowing them to explore different areas of study, career options, campus resources, and ways to connect to UMass Lowell and the surrounding community.This LLC’s spirit of exploration is balanced by an emphasis on maintaining a lifestyle focused on each student’s holistic well-being.
This LLC experience will provide students opportunities to build and develop tangible academic and social skills that will aid them in their college journey, while also being able to explore the things that matter to them: their passions, their intellectual interests, their concerns and their curiosities. Students will have the opportunity to live with their peers and have access to faculty and staff members who will aid in their transitional experience over the course of the academic year. This LLC is sponsored by College of Fine Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences and the River Hawk Scholars Academy through the Office of the Provost.
As a result of living in the Explore Living-Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to:
- Utilize resources provided by the University that will promote academic success (e.g., Advising requirements/expectations, Course Registration, Tutoring, Study Prep, the Academic Advisors from the Centers for Learning, Career Counselors from the Career & Co-Op Center, Internships, Resume/Cover Letter Writing, etc.). (Campus Resources)
- Identify connections within the City of Lowell that will further develop them as engaged UMass Lowell community members. (Community Involvement)
- Develop meaningful relationships through networking opportunities with faculty, staff, alumni and peers that will promote career development. (Social Connections)
- Discover effective organization and time management techniques that will enhance study skills and promote academic success. (Academic Success)
- Examine various Major/Minor offerings and Degree Requirements and recognize the essential requirements of the Core Curriculum and the University’s Essential Learning Outcomes as they relate to an individual’s career of interest. (Career Exploration)
- Identify areas in need of balance and stress reduction that will sustain overall wellbeing within the following areas: Physical, Financial, Social, Community & Career Wellbeing as well as the resources on campus that assist with achieving personal and academic success. (Wellbeing)