Redefining academic excellence
The UMass Lowell First-Year Commonwealth Honors LLC is designed for First-Year students who have been accepted into the Honors College. This LLC provides enriched academic opportunities to exceptional students who want to take their university experience to the next level. Through participation in engaging social and academic-based residence hall programming, students in the First-Year Commonwealth Honors LLC are empowered to build a strong community around learning, academic growth and their identity as Honors students. With a focus on wellbeing, networking, time management and identifying campus resources, this LLC aims to set students up for success all the while preparing them to graduate as Commonwealth Honors Scholars. This LLC is sponsored by the Honors College and offers a dedicated Faculty-in-Residence who supports the students of the LLC through programming initiatives, advising, and individual personal and professional development.
As a result of living in the First-Year Commonwealth Honors Living-Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to …
- Begin to develop meaningful relationships through networking opportunities with faculty, staff, alumni and peers that promote professional and academic success.
- Discover effective organization and time management techniques that will enhance study skills and promote academic success.
- Identify areas that need balance, which will support an improved sense of wellbeing within the following areas: physical, financial, social, community and career.
- Identify campus resources that can assist in accomplishing personal and academic goals (e.g., service opportunities, internships, finding a mentor, exploring thesis topics, tutoring, etc.).
- Identify an action plan that will assist in working towards graduating as a Commonwealth Honors Scholar.
- Begin to explore their identity as an Honors student by challenging world views through investigating diverse social and ethical issues.
Get more information about the Honors College
First-Year LLC Faculty in residence
Visiting Assistant Professor Rae Mansfield | Thesis and Fellowship Coordinator & Faculty in Residence, The Honors College