Skip to Main Content

Housing FAQ

Am I allowed to decorate? Can I paint, wallpaper, etc...?

Students can decorate in most any way they want, with the exception of permanent changes to the room. With this in mind, painting, wallpapering, etc. is not allowed. Care should be taken to not damage the walls, but reasonable wear and tear is expected.

Students are encouraged to personalize their space within reason. Most any other decorative choices students make are allowed, provided they do not infringe on the rights of others or the community atmosphere.

Can I bring a car? Where do I park?

Yes, all students at UMass Lowell may have a car on campus. There is no freshmen restriction against first year students having a car. Each residence hall has parking near the building. Parking can be limited at times and some areas are restricted. On campus students are encouraged to ride the shuttle between campuses, but there are plenty of spaces on campus for our residence hall students.

For more information about parking and parking fees, please visit the Access Services website.

Can I have a single room as a freshman or a new student?

We have a very limited number of single rooms, which are given to students on the basis of seniority. This means that, for the most part, graduate students and seniors will occupy our single rooms. Any single room requests for health reasons must be made via the alternative housing assignment for health needs process.

Can I have a single room as a freshman or a new student?

We have a very limited number of single rooms, which are given to students on the basis of seniority. This means that, for the most part, graduate students and seniors will occupy our single rooms. Any single room requests for health reasons must be made via the alternative housing assignment for health needs process.

Can I study in the residence halls?

Like the question before, the answer is "yes," but this depends on the type of atmosphere you require when studying. If absolute quiet is needed, the library may be a better option. If you can study with some distraction, then the residence hall should be fine. Of course, roommates often have to work out their study schedules, guest rules, etc. in order to accomplish this, but it can be done with good communication between roommates.

Do I need to bring a computer?

This is your decision to make. The University has several computer labs, both Macintosh and PC based, for student use; some are open 24 hours a day. Every student room on campus has high-speed Internet access. If you have a computer at home and want to bring it to college, and it is 'Ethernet-ready', you will have access to the Internet (access to commercial services like AOL is NOT included, nor is it necessary). If it is not ethernet-ready you can purchase an ethernet cord at your local computer supply store.

NOTE: All students are issued a student e-mail account and are required to use it regularly.

Is full payment due at the beginning of the semester?

Student Financial Services set the deadline for when payment of the University bill is due. For specific deadlines, call Student Financial Services at 978-934-3570. There is also an interest free payment plan available which allows you to pay tuition, fees, room and board in monthly installments. More information is available at Academic Management Services Plan or by calling 800-635-0120.

If you're concerned that you won't be allowed to check into the residence halls, don't worry. We won't remove you for non-payment, nor will we keep you from checking in.

How do I sign up for housing?

To apply for housing or participate in the Room Selection process for the coming academic year, you must fill out complete your housing application on the Online Housing Portal. Your application and signed contract must be submitted in order to be eligible for housing. Within this application students will also be able to apply for Living-Learning Communities.

Is there a place to cook?

Bourgeois, Fox, Leitch, and University Suites have kitchen spaces in the building that students may use. Concordia, Donahue, Inn and Conference Center, and Sheehy do not. Students are able to use microwave ovens to cook food and you are encouraged to bring one. The use of most cooking appliances within student rooms is prohibited so please be sure to check out the above section on "What to Bring" and "What Not to Bring." All apartment-style buildings are equipped with kitchens in the apartments.

Is there cable TV on campus?

UMass Lowell is proud to offer streaming entertainment content to residential students through an agreement with Comcast. You may access the 'XFINITY on Campus' service through a web browser, an app on your smartphone / tablet, or on a Roku device connected to a TV. In addition we provide TVs and with the XFINITY on Campus service in building lounges.

Should I get Property Insurance?

All students should verify that they have personal property insurance coverage. Typically, a homeowners or renters policy will cover college students when away from home. Check with your provider as you may need additional riders to cover computers or other special equipment not in the primary homeowner's dwelling.

What about security? What security measures are in place?

We have a sign in staff in our residence halls from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. conducting check-ins. This means students who want to enter the building must either be a current resident or guest of a current resident. The resident must sign in the guest at the front door and behave responsibly. This includes parents, siblings, friends, etc. Non-residents who are not accompanied by a resident are not permitted into the halls.

Our buildings are also equipped with electronic access doors, cameras and silent and audible alarms to assist in providing a safer environment.

What about the telephone?

Every room is wired for local and on campus calling. You must bring your own phone to campus to use this service. The phone service provides a private voice mailbox that can be accessed from any telephone in the world.

You will need a long distance phone card, or a prepaid calling card, to make long distance phone calls. You can purchase a prepaid phone card here on campus at the bookstore, purchase your own card elsewhere, or get a long distance phone card from the provider of your choice.

What are points?

This works like a debit card. Points are a cash value encoded into your ID card that allow you to purchase snacks, food or items at the convenience store or grab and go food places on campus (i.e. Starbucks and Subway) without carrying cash. Points can also be used in the dining hall to purchase a meal if you have used up your weekly or semesterly allotment or a meal for a family member or friend.

What comes with the room? What do I need to bring?

Each room is furnished with a bed, desk, chair, bureau, and closet/wardrobe for each student in the room. Many rooms also have a bookshelf and lounge chair. Suite style rooms also have couches, study tables and chairs, and semi-private bathrooms. Students should bring to school personal belongings that meet their needs. The following is a list of items you will likely want/need to or can bring:

  • Clothes and Hangers
  • Blankets/ bedspread/ bed pillow/ towels/ washcloths/ sheets (to fit 80" twin XL mattress)
  • Desk lamp / desk fan / desk blotter
  • Toiletries / hair dryer / container to carry toiletries to shower / sewing kit
  • Laundry detergent (and quarters for the machines)/ Laundry basket or bag)
  • Refrigerator (5.5 cubic feet maximum)
  • Microwave (toaster ovens are not permitted)
  • Back pack
  • Memo board for door
  • Pens/ pencils/ tape/ stapler and staples/ envelopes and stamps
  • Wall decorations/ carpet or floor rug
  • Alarm clock
  • Flashlight
  • Waste paper basket
  • Umbrella / raincoat
  • Mugs / glasses/plates, bowls and silverware
  • Electric iron/ ironing board
  • Radio / stereo / TV / DVD Player
  • Hobby supplies/ sports equipment
  • Coffee maker
  • Door Mirror
  • Laptop/Desktop and Tablet
  • Shower caddy (for traditional Residence Hall rooms)
  • Bathmat/bathroom rug (apartment and suites)
  • Flip flops for shower
  • First aid kit/ bandaids
  • Batteries
  • Small "fix it" kit (screw driver, duct tape, etc.)
What does coed mean?

By the term "coed," we mean that men and women will be living in the same building. All of our buildings are coed and most floors (with the exception of some floors in Fox) are coed. Bathrooms and bedrooms remain single sex unless students participate in the Gender Inclusive Housing process. This allows students of any gender identity to share a suite or apartment space.

What does my building code mean?

  • BH- Bourgeios Hall
  • CH-Concordia Hall
  • DH- Donahue Hall
  • FH- Fox Hall
  • INN- The Inn and Conference Center (also referred to as ICC)
  • SHH- Sheehy Hall
  • US- University Suites
  • RVS- Riverview Suites
  • Apartments:
  • 725M- Merrimack St.
  • MS- Moody St.
  • PP- Princeton Reserve
  • SS- School St
  • WP- Westford Park

What if I'm waiting for financial aid?

Your financial aid award will be applied to your outstanding bill when it arrives on campus. If you are owed a refund, the Business Office will a distribute a check to you. If you have more questions, call 978-934-4220 or visit the Office of Financial Aid, part of the Solution Center.

What shouldn't I bring?

  • Battery powered scooters, commonly know as hover boards. 
  • Cooking appliances such as a hot plate, griddle, toaster, immersion coil, wok, deep fryer or any other appliance with an open coil. We do not permit George Forman Grills.
  • Rover, Fluffy or any other pet that does not swim. Seriously, we do not allow any pets other than fish in a ten gallon tank (or smaller).
  • Candles or potpourri, incense and/ or incense burners are not permitted.
  • Air conditioners
  • Homemade beds or lofts
  • Alcohol, unless a student is of legal drinking age. 
  • Drug paraphernalia of any sort, even if it is considered decorative
  • Weapons are absolutely forbidden; sport enthusiasts should make off-campus storage arrangements prior to attending events where weapons are used or displayed.

When do I need to sign up for housing?


Please review the room selection information for more information about the room selection process. You will not qualify for the room selection process if you do not have a completed application and signed contract by the deadline.


New students must complete their housing contract and deposit information by May 5, your University enrollment deposit must be paid by May 1.

Freshmen/Transfer students are guaranteed housing if your application and signed contract are received before May 5 and your University enrollment deposit is paid by May 1.

When will I find out where I'm going to live, and with whom?

All students who complete their application on time are eligible for roommate matching and room self-selection. This means that you will pick your own roommates and room assignment! Any student that doesn't participate in this process or submits a late application may be assigned by the housing team pending availability. All room assignments are available to view on the housing portal at any time and will also be emailed to you in early August. At that time you will receive your room assignment, as well as move-in date/time, opening activities and last-minute reminders.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?

We would like students to work with their roommate to resolve any conflicts. Often the Resident Advisor becomes involved as a mediator. If this method is unsuccessful or if a student wants to relocate, we will accommodate them in available spaces. Students are allowed to change rooms after the first two weeks of each semester. This process is relatively simple, and, as long as a space is available, students may move when they wish.

Which meal plan is the best?

We have a variety of meal plans offered to our students, and their individual needs often dictate what meal plan to select. We find that students that plan to eat most meals on campus prefer the Platinum meal plan which includes unlimited meals along with 350 River Hawk dollars and 8 guest meals (per semester). This provides more flexibility to eat across campus dining locations and not worry about running out of meal swipes. You can review all of the meal plans offered and decide which one is the right fit for you.

Where can I do my laundry?

Each building is equipped with its own card-operated laundry facilities in a common area of the building. Residents residing in 725 Merrimack Street, River Hawk Village, and the River Hawk Village Townhouses have in-unit laundry.

Will I be able to sleep in the residence halls?

Yes, you will be able to sleep in the residence halls. Although the adjustment to college living may be a bit disruptive at first. Please remember that you are moving from a home or apartment in which you live with your family to living on a floor with 25 to 70 other students, in a building with 100 to 550 students. This new experience will take time to adjust to.

All residents are expected to respect each other’s study, sleep, and privacy needs. Residents are accountable for any noise that can be heard beyond their own bedrooms and/or common areas in keeping with 24-hour courtesy hours. Residents are expected to adhere to quiet hours, Sunday-Thursday, 9 p.m.-8 a.m., and Friday and Saturday, Midnight –10 a.m. Quiet Hours are extended to 24 hours per day during Final Exams.