Veterans who are permanent legal residents of Massachusetts for 12 consecutive months, and can provide the required documentation, may qualify for the Veteran's Tuition Credit at UMass Lowell.
- DD214 - Military Discharge Papers (Member 4 copy)
- Honorable discharge
- 90 days Active Duty
- National Guard & Reserves 180 days active duty or 90 days active service under US Title 10 or Title 32
- Proof of Residency - required for all Online & Continuing Education (OCE) students
- Massachusetts Resident Income Tax Return (Form 1)
- Most recent official document showing address and bar code info (must be completed)
- Students who Tele-file or Electronically file must include W-2 form with tax summary sheet
- Generic hand-written tax form - not accepted
- Certificate of Residency
- Obtain from Town/City Hall
- Document must include:
- Official Letterhead or Official Town form
- Current Address
- Number of months/years residing at address
- Must be notarized or have official town seal (original copy of certificate is required – cannot accept copy)
- Active Duty Military Non-Residents Stationed in MA
- Submit copy of Military ID and one of the following:
- Copy of Active Duty Orders
- Residency Certificate
- Letter from Commanding Officer or Education Officer
- Copy of lease for housing
- Proof of Residency must be updated annually for OCE students
- Classification of in-state residency for undergraduate day students and graduate students will be determined by the Admissions Office
Application Form: All veterans receiving the tuition credit must matriculate into a degree program. Application for admissions may be obtained online.
Veteran must notify Veterans' Benefits Coordinator every semester once registered for classes – credits are not automatically applied to students' account.
- Online, Non-Credit, Off-Campus and Directed Study courses are not covered under the credit.
- Credits are not retroactive.