As we continue to live through the COVID-19 pandemic, we want you to know that at UML keeping our community healthy and safe is embedded in everything we do.
With that in mind we’ve developed protocols based on guidance from health officials and have plans in place for students who have a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 to follow in order to isolate.
Making a Go Bag
To keep you and everyone in our community healthy and safe, as well as for your comfort, we want you to be ready should you test positive for COVID-19 while living on campus.
In an unpredictable time as we continue to live with a pandemic, taking charge of what you are able to control can be a very empowering. Creating a “Go Bag” is something completely in your control and is an important part of being prepared if you are instructed to isolate.
Right now, take about 15 minutes to get a “Go Bag” ready in the event that you need to leave your current room to isolate as time will be of the essence to minimize exposure to others should you need to move to another space.
The suggested list (below) includes items that you may use on a regular basis - a good strategy might be for you to put all of the items nearby each other so you can gather them quickly.
As you put your Go Bag items together, please keep in mind that should you need to be in isolation, you will be off campus or in a different space for a period of five to 10 days, so having all of the important stuff in your life ready to go will make life easier for you during that time period.
Here are some suggested items as you consider what to include in your Go Bag.
- ALWAYS have your UML ID with you – ALWAYS
- Personal hygiene items, including bath towels
- Face coverings
- Containers of the medications you take, including nonprescription (over the counter drugs) as well as prescription medication. Be sure to have enough for 14 days just in case you need to isolate longer due to feeling poorly.
- A thermometer (part of the supplies we advised students to bring when moving back on campus)
- Phone and charger
- Laptop and charger
- All your important documents, including insurance cards and, if an international student, your passport
- Notepad, pen/pencil
- Several changes of clothes/underclothes/pajamas
- If you keep snacks in your room, put a supply of them in your Go Bag
Doing this now is important as you may have very little time to prepare if you need to be placed into isolation. Having all of this together will allow you to grab and go and have the items you’ll need while away from your residence hall and leave you able to continue with school and personal responsibilities.