Starting college can be exciting and new, but it can also bring up unforeseen stressors.
Common challenges that first year students may experience:
- Homesickness / Returning home
- Feeling disconnected / Difficulties making friends
- Challenges navigating the campus and getting acclimated
- Navigating new romantic relationships and sexual experiences
- Challenges with organization, time management and staying healthy
- Exposure to new cultural diversity that is different than previous experiences
- Acclimating to academic expectations that may be more challenging than anticipated
Resources for First Year Students
- 25 Tips to Help You Survive and Thrive in Your Freshman Year: A website with information on transitioning to college.
- Student Clubs and Organizations (ENGAGE): Students can explore all student organizations based on keywords and find club events and contact information.
- UMass Lowell Centers for Learning and Academic Support (CLASS): An office dedicated to improving your academic performance through advising, tutoring and more.
- Student Activities and Leadership: Follow this office on Instagram and Facebook for fun events and leadership opportunities.