Composite structures, Computational Mechanics, Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME), Multi-scale analysis, Composite manufacturing, Molecular-dynamics, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Higher-order FEA, Additive Manufacturing
- Ph D: Aerospace Engineering, (2013), Turin Polytechnic Institute - Torino, Italy
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Multiscale approaches for the failure analysis of fiber-reinfoced composite structures using the 1D CUF
- MS: Aerospace Engineering, (2010), Turin Polytechnic Institute - Torino, Italy
- BS: Aerospace Engineering, (2008), Turin Polytechnic Institute - Torino, Italy
Marianna Maiaru, Ph.D. joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at UMass Lowell in the fall of 2016. Her doctoral work, performed as a collaboration between the Turin Polytechnic Institute and the University of Michigan, resulted in the development of computationally light multi-scale approaches for the progressive failure analysis of fiber-reinforced composite structures using higher-order FEM. Before joining the faculty at UMass Lowell, Maiaru was a Research Associate in the William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics at the University of Washington and, before that, a Research Associate in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan. Her post-doctoral research, sponsored by AFRL, has been conducted in collaboration with many aerospace industries and focused on the development of physics-based models of the manufacturing induced effect on polymer matrix composites (PMCs).
Selected Awards and Honors
- Aldo Muggia Best Thesis Award (2012)
- Italian Engineering Licence (Aerospace Engineering) (2011)
- Student Ambassador at G8 University Summit in Turin (2009)
- Maiarua, M., Carrerab, E., d Pascal Meyera, Anthony M Waasa, . (). A MULTISCALE METHOD FOR THE ANALYSIS OF FIBER REINFORCED COMPOSITE STRUCTURES USING THE CW APPROACH.
- Koon, B., Engelstad, S., Action, J., Dalgarno, R., Maiaru, M., Riga, N., Lynam, C. (2016). Integrated computational methods for composite materials (ICM2): Process and micromechanics modeling for airframe applications (2016-January: pp. A and P Technology; AIRTECH Advanced Materials Group; et al.; Surface Generation; TCR Composites; Thermal Equipment Corporation (TEC) - ). International SAMPE Technical Conference
- D’Mello, R.J., Maiaru, M., Waas, A.M. (2015). Effect of the curing process on the transverse tensile strength of fiber-reinforced polymer matrix lamina using micromechanics computations. Integrating Materials and Manufacturing Innovation, 4(1) 1–18.
- D’Mello, R.J., Maiaru, M., Waas, A.M., Oyerokun, F., Zheng, L., Prabhakar, P. (2015). Modeling cure induced damage in Fiber Reinforced Composites (pp. 0967).
- Carrera, E., Maiarú, M., Petrolo, M. (2013). Evaluation of Failure Parameters in Composite Structures by Component-Wise Approach (pp. 1541).
- Carrera, E., Maiaru, M., Petrolo, M. (2012). 1D component-wise models for failure analysis of composites. Prof. AJM Ferreira and Prof. E. Carrera.
- Carrera, E., Maiaru, M., Petrolo, M. (2012). A Component-Wise Approach for the Failure Analysis of Composite Structures (pp. 1691).
- Carrera, E., Petrolo, M., Maiaru, M. (2011). 1D Higher-Order Finite Element Models with onlyDisplacement Variables for the Analysis of Fiber-Reinforced Composite Structures. Raimund Rolfes, Eelco L. Jansen.
- Carrera, E., Giunta, G., Petrolo, M., Maiaru, M. (2011). Refined beam elements for the multiscale analysis of fiber-reinforced composite structures.
- Manufacturing process induced effects in the mechanical behavior of carbon FRPCs. - 3rd World Congress on Integrated Computational Materials Engineering, 2015 - Colorado Springs, CO
- Effects of packing and RUC size on ICME of carbon FRPCs - SAE World Congress & Exhibition, 2015 - Detroit, MI
- 1D CUF higher order models for the multiscale analysis of fiber-reinforced composite structures, November 2015 - Cleveland, OH
- Micromechanical modeling of virtually cured polymer matrix composite structures (PMCs), November 2015 - Cleveland, OH
- Manufacturing process induced effects on the strength of carbon fiber-epoxy composites. - 30th Annual Technical Conference, September 2015 - East Lansing, Michigan
- Analysis of the cure induced effects at the microscale on the strengths of fiber-reinforced polymer composite structures - 2015 Applied Mechanics and Material Conference, June 2015 - Seattle, WA
- Modeling cure induced damage in fiber reinforced composites - SciTech, January 2015 - Kissimmee, FL
- A Progressive Failure Analysis using the 1D-CUF in a Mesh Objective Way - 1st International Conference on Mechanics of Composites, August 2014 - Long Island, NY
- A Multiscale Method for the Analysis of Fiber Reinforced Composite Structures using the CW Approach - ECCM16 - 16TH European Conference on Composite Materials, June 2014 - Seville, Spain
- Evaluation of Failure Parameters in Composite Structures by Component-Wise Approach - 54th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials and Co-located Conferences, April 2013 - Boston, MA
- 1D component-wise models for failure analysis of composites - First International Conference on Mechanics of Nano, Micro and Macro Composite Structures, June 2012 - Torino, Italy
- A Component-Wise Approach for the Failure Analysis of Composite Structures - 53rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference (SDM), April 2012 - Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1D Higher-Order Finite Element Models with onlyDisplacement Variables for the Analysis of Fiber-Reinforced Composite Structures - 3rd Thematic Conference on Mechanical Response of Composites 2011, September 2011 - Hannover
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- QRM: Microstructural quantification and virtual reconstruction of polymer matrix composites within the Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) approach (2018), Grant - NSF
Maiaru, M., Stapleton, S., Liu, F., Beke, T.