The major accomplishments related to peer-reviewed publications authored by Center for Gerontology Research & Partnerships members address collaboration among the Center’s multiple disciplines and are focused on the CGRP’s priority research and partnership initiatives.
- Harris, M., Melillo, K.D., K.D., Keilman, L., Peraza-Smith, G.B., Bronner, S., Walmer, M., Nwogu, C.A., Lewitz, A. & Cacchione, P.Z. (2021). GAPNA Section: Supporting evidence for geropsychiatric nursing as a subspecialty of gerontological advanced practice nursing. Geriatric Nursing, 42(1), 247-250.Sama, S.R., Quinn, M.M., Galligan, C.J., Karlsson, N.D., Gore, R.J., Kriebel, D., Prentice, J.C., Osei-Poku, G., Carter, C.N., Markkanen, P.K., & Lindberg, J.E. (2020). Impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on home health and home care agency managers, clients, and aides: A cross-sectional survey, March to June, 2020. Home Health Care Management and Practice. First Published Dec. 11, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/1084822320980415Karlsson, ND, Markkanen PK, Kriebel D, Galligan C, Quinn M. "That's not my job": A mixed methods study of challenging client behaviors, boundaries, and home care aide occupational safety and health. Am J Ind Med. 2020. Apr; 63(4):368-378. doi: 10.1002/ajim.23082.Melillo, K.D. (2020). Formulating the review question. In C. E. Toronto and R. Remington (Eds.). A step-by-step guide to conducting an integrative review (pp. 11-20). New York: Springer. ISBN 978-3-030-37503-4Harris, M., Keilman, L., Peraza-Smith, G.B., Melillo, K.D., Bronner, S., Walmer, M., Nwogu, C., Lewitz, A. & Cacchione, P. (2020) GAPNA Geropsychiatric nursing position statement: Supporting evidence for geropsychiatric nursing as a subspecialty of gerontological advanced practice nursing. Pitman, NJ: Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association. https://www.gapna.org/sites/default/files/documents/pos-stat/geropsy.pdfKulkarni, N., Compton, C., Luna, J., Ul Alam, M.A. (2020). Monitoring my dehydration: A non-invasive dehydration alert system using electrodermal activity. Arxiv. https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.13626Ul Alam, M.A., Roy, N., Holmes, S., Gangopadhyay, A., Galik, E. (2020). AutoCogniSys: IoT assisted context-aware automatic cognitive health assessment. ArXiv. https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.07492Wyman, J., Abdallah, L., Baker, N., Bell, C., Cartwright, J., Greenberg, S., Kim, J., Krichbaum, K., Mueller, C., Overcash, J., Skemp, L., & Van Son, C., NHCGNE (2019). Development of core competencies and a recognition program for gerontological nursing educators. Journal of Professional Nursing, 35(6), 452-460. DOI: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2019.04.003Harris, M., Melillo, K.D., Keilman, L.J., Peraza-Smith, G.B., Duane, S., Arms, T., Bronner, S., Nwogu, C.A., Lewitz, A.M. & Cacchione, P.Z. (2019). Basic considerations for understanding, diagnosing and treating symptoms of non-dementia psychosis in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 40(2), 220-224. DOI: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2019.03.004Karlsson ND, Markkanen PK, Kriebel D, Gore RJ, Galligan CJ, Sama SR, Quinn MM. Home care aides’ experiences of verbal abuse: a survey of characteristics and risk factors. Occup Environ Med. 2019; 76(7):448-54. DOI:oemed-2018-105604.Turcotte, D.A., Woskie, S., Gore, R., Chaves, E. & Adejumo, K.L. (2019). Asthma, COPD, and home environments: Interventions with older adults. Annals of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, 122, 486-491.
Gautam, R. (2018). Caregiving of older adults in Nepal: A context of urbanization, modernization, and globalization in a developing country. In M. Higo, T.R. Klassen, & N. S. Dhirathiti (Eds). Handbook on aging and the old-age in Asia-Pacific. Routledge.
Gautam, R., Mawn, B. & Beehler, S. (2018). Bhutanese older adult refugees recently resettled in the United States: A better life but with little sorrows. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 29(2), 165-171.
Goodyear N, Markkanen P, Beato-Melendez C, Mohamed H, Gore R, Galligan C, Sama S, Quinn M. (2018). Cleaning and disinfection in home care: A comparison of two commercial products with potentially different consequences for respiratory health. Am J Infect Control, 2018. Vol 46(4): 410-416. DOI:10.1016/j.ajic.2017.09.033.
Sun, C, Buchholz, B, Quinn, M, Punnett, L, Galligan, C, Gore, R. Ergonomic evaluation of slide boards used by home care aides to assist client transfers. Ergonomics, 2018. Vol 61(7): 913-922. DOI: 10.1080/00140139.2017.1420826
- Coe, L. J., St John, J. A., Hariprasad, S., Shankar, K. N., MacCulloch, P. A., Bettano, A. L., & Zotter, J. (2017). An integrated approach to falls prevention: a model for linking clinical and community interventions through the massachusetts prevention and wellness trust fund. Frontiers in public health, 5, 38.
- Hostetler, A. J., & Paterson, S. E. (In Press). Toward a community psychology of aging: A lifespan perspective. In M. A. Bond, C. Keys, and I. Serrano-Garcia (Eds.), Handbook of community psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association (forthcoming in 2017).
- Markkanen, P. K., Galligan, C.J., Quinn, M.M. (2017) Safety Risks Among Home Infusion Nurses and Other Home Health Care Providers. Journal of Infusion Nursing, 40(4), 215–223.
- Melillo, K.D. (2017). Geropsychiatric nursing: What’s in your toolkit? [Editorial]. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 43(1), 3-6.
- Wong JC, Scott T, Wilde P, Li NHY, Tucker KL, Gao X. (In Press). Food insecurity is associated with faster cognitive decline in the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study: A prospective cohort study. J Nutr
- James, E.G., Leveille, S.G., You, T., Hausdorff, J.M., Travison, T., Manor, B., McLean, R., & Bean, J.F. (2016). Gait coordination impairment is associated with mobility in older adults. Experimental Gerontology, 80:12-16.
- Lee, A.J., Gautam, R., Melillo, K.D., Abdallah, L.M., Remington, R., Van Etten, D., & Gore, R. (2016). An MCBS-based investigation of alternative primary care models in nursing homes: cost and utilization differences. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 9(3), 115-122.
- Mullaney, S.E., Melillo, K.D., Lee, A.J. & MacArthur, R. (2016). The association of nurse practitioners’ mortality risk assessments and advance care planning discussions on nursing home patients’ clinical outcomes. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 28(6), 304-310.
- Quinn, M.M., Markkanen, P.K., Galligan, C.J., Sama, S.R., Kriebel, D., Gore, R.J., Brouillette, N.M., Okyere, D., Sun, C., Punnett, L., Laramie, A.K. & Davis, L. (2016). Occupational health of home care aides: Results of the Safe Home Care Survey. Occupational Environmental Medicine, 73, 237-245. DOI: 10.1136/oemed-2015-103031.
- Tucker KL. Nutrient intake, nutritional status and cognitive function with aging. Ann NY Acad Sci. Mar 2016:1367:38-49. PMID: 27116240
- Abdallah, L., Van Etten, D., Lee, A.J., Melillo, K.D., Remington, R., Gautam, R., & Gore, R.J. (2015). An MCBS-based investigation of alternative primary care models in nursing homes: Functional ability and health status outcomes. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 8(2), 85-93.
- Galligan, C., Markkanen, P., Fantasia, L., Gore, R., Sama, S. & Quinn, M. (2015). A growing fire hazard concern in communities: Home oxygen therapy and continued smoking habits. New Solutions, 24(4), 535-554. DOI: 10.2190/NS.24.4.g
- Markkanen, P., Galligan, C., Laramie, A., Fisher, J., Sama, S., & Quinn, M. (2015). Understanding sharps injuries in home healthcare: The Safe Home Care qualitative methods study to identify pathways for injury prevention. BMC Public Health, 15(11), 359+; DOI: 10.1186/s12889-015-1673-x.
- Markkanen, P., Quinn, M., & Sama, S. (January 2015). When the home is a workplace: Promoting safety and health for a vulnerable workforce. In Armenia A, Duffy M, and Stacey, C (Eds.). Caring on the clock. Rutgers, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Melillo, K.D., Remington, R., Lee, A.J., Abdallah, L., Van Etten, D., Gautam, R. & Gore, R. (2015). Comparison of nurse practitioner and physician practice models in nursing facilities. Annals of Long-Term Care, 23(12), 19-24.
- Quinn, M.M., Henneberger, P.K., and Members of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA) Cleaning and Disinfecting in Healthcare Working Group (2015). Cleaning and disinfecting environmental surfaces in healthcare: Towards an integrated framework for infection and occupational illness prevention. American Journal of Infection Control, 43, 423-434.
- Quinn, M., Markkanen, P., Galligan, C., Sama, S., Kriebel, D., Gore, R., & Davis, L. (2015). Occupational health of home care aides: Results of the safe home care survey. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 1-9. Retrieved from http://oem.bmj.com/content/early/2015/07/24/oemed-2015-103031.full
- Talegawkar S, Tanakato T, Maras J, Ferrucci L, Tucker KL. Validation of nutrient estimates derived using a semi-quantitative FFQ against 3-day diet records in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Nutr Health Aging Dec 2015;19:994-1002. PMID:26624210
- Philip D, Buch A, Moorthy D, Peter I, Scott TM, Parnell LD, Lai CQ, Ordovás JM, Selhub J, Rosenberg IH, Tucker KL, Troen AM. Dihydrofolate reductase 19-bp deletion polymorphism modifies the association of folate status with memory in a cross-sectional multi-ethnic study of adults. Am J Clin Nutr Nov 2015; 102:1279-1288 (epub Sept 2015) PMID: 26354538
- Sotos-Prieto M, Bhupathiraju SN, Falcon LM, Gao X, Tucker KL, Mattei J. A Healthy Lifestyle Score associated with cardiometabolic and neuroendocrine risk factors among Puerto Rican adults. J Nutr, Jul 2015;145:1531-40. (epub May 2015) PMID: 25948783
- Niu J, Sahni S, Liao S, Tucker KL, Dawson-Hughes B, Gao X. Association between sleep duration, insomnia symptoms and bone mineral density in older Puerto Rican adults. PloS One J 26147647
- Jimenez MP, Osypuk TL, Arevalo S, Tucker KL, Falcon LM. Neighborhood socioeconomic context and change in allostatic load among older Puerto Ricans: the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Health & Place, May 2015;74:111-6. (epub Feb 2015) PMID: 25706323
- Annweiler C, Dursun E, Feron F, Gezen-Ak D, Kalueff AV, Littlejohns T, Llewellyn DJ, Millet P, Scott T, Tucker KL, Yilmazer S, Beauchet O. Vitamin D and cognition in older adults: updated international recommendations. J Intern Med, Jan 2015 (epub Jul 2014); 277:45-57. PMID: 24995480
- Futrell, M., Melillo, K.D. & Remington, R. (2014). Wandering: Evidence-based practice guideline and quick reference guide. The John A. Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence, The University of Iowa College of Nursing, Evidence-based Practice Guidelines. Iowa City: IA.
- Futrell, M., Melillo, K.D., & Remimgton, R. (2014). Wandering: Evidence-based practice guideline. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 40(11), 16-23.
- Markkanen, P., Quinn, M., Galligan, C., Sama, S., Brouillette, N., & Okyere, D. (2014). Characterizing the nature of home care work and occupational hazards: Developmental intervention study. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 57(4), 445-57. DOI: 10.1002/ajim.22287. Epub 2013 Dec 17.
- Melillo, K.D., Abdallah, L., Dodge, L., Dowling, J., Prendergast, N., Rathbone, A., Remington, R., Shellman, J. & Thornton, C. (2014). Feasibility of developing a Dedicated Education Unit in long-term care: Results of a pilot study. Geriatric Nursing, 35(4), 264-271.
- Gordon, S.J., Melillo, K.D., Nannini, A., & Lakatos, B. (2013). Bedside coaching to improve nurses’ recognition of delirium. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 45(5), 288-293.
- Melillo, K.D. (2013). Cognitive health and older workers: Policy implications. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 39(6), 13-18.
- Melillo, K.D., Meyer, R. & Boutcher, F. (2013). Learning about interprofessional education in LTC: Baycrest Centre for Learning, Research and Innovation and the University of Massachusetts Lowell’s Dedicated Education Unit experience. University of Toronto, Centre for Interprofessional Education Newsletter, v. 3, May 2013.
- Prendergast, N. & Melillo, K.D. (2013). Academic-practice partnership: Establishing a dedicated education unit in a transitional long-term care setting. Provider Long Term & Post-Acute Care, August 2013, 37-39
- Chhabi, KQN., Gautam, R., & Kusano, A. (2012). Late life family conflict in Bangladesh: An elderly perspective. Journal of Japan Society for Intergenerational Studies, 2(1), Retrieved from http://www.jsis.jp/vol02.html.
- Houde, S.C., Melillo, K.D. & Holmes, R. (2012). Patient centered medical homes. Policy Section, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(3), 12-16.
- Markkanen, P., Abdallah, L, Lee, A.J. and Gautam, R. (2012). Long-term care in the United States and Finland: Policy lessons to be learned. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(12), 16-21.
- Melillo, K.D., Abdallah, L., Blanks, C., Campbell, I., & Herndon, L. (2012). Faculty Institute for Gerontological Nursing: A partnership for clinical education in long term care. Nursing Education Perspectives, 33(2), 203-206.
- Van Etten, D. & Gautam, R. (2012). Custodial grandparents raising grandchildren: Lack of legal relationship a barrier for services. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(6), 18-22.
- Gage, S. & Melillo, K.D. (2011). Substance abuse in older adults: Policy issues. Policy Section, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(12), 8-11.
- Gautam R. & Houde, S.C. (2011). Geriatric Depression Scale for community dwelling older adults of Nepal. Asian Journal of Gerontology & Geriatrics, 6(2), 1-7.
- Gautam R., Saito, T., Houde, S.C., & Kai, I. (2011). Social interactions and depressive symptoms among community dwelling older adults in Nepal: A synergic effect model. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 53(1), 24-30.
- Melillo, K. & Houde, S. (Eds.) (2011). Geropsychiatric and mental health nursing (2nd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Futrell, M., Melillo, K.D., & Remington, R. (2010). Evidence-based guideline: Wandering. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 36(2), 6-16.