Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the Registrar’s Office?

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for ensuring security, maintenance, integrity, and adherence to UMass Lowell policies, accreditation, and federal standards relative to all facets of students’ academic records [includes data entry, system maintenance, security, etc.] The goal of the UMass Lowell Registrar’s Office is to keep accurate student records and provide timely, efficient, and courteous service to students, faculty, staff, alumnae/alumni and other who may request services from the Registrar’s Office. The responsibilities and duties of the Registrar’s Office are organized around three key areas:

  1. the maintenance of students’ academic records;
  2. the coordination of registration and scheduling of classes; and
  3. the support of students’ academic progress.   
Does UMass Lowell send a copy of my grades to my parents?

UMass Lowell does not mail grades.  You may choose to grant your parents access to view your grades through SiS USHARE.

What is FERPA?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (sometimes called the Buckley Amendment). Passed by Congress in 1974, the Act grants four specific rights to a college or university student:

  1. the right to see the education records that the institution maintains on the student;
  2. the right to seek amendment to those records and in certain cases append a statement to the record;
  3. the right to consent to disclosure of his/her education records; and
  4. the right to file a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, D.C.

For additional information see the U.S Department of Education Protecting Student Privacy website.

I need to update my personal information on my student record – what do I do?

Students can update some information in their self-service account. For example, students may update their preferred name, degree name, address, telephone number, personal email address. However, if students are changing their primary legal name, a Student information Change Form must be submitted with legal documentation demonstrating the change.

I’m not coming back to UMass Lowell next semester – Do I need to do anything?

Students should submit an Official Withdrawal Form to the Registrar’s Office.

I want to take a course at a different institution. Do I need to get permission?

Yes, a student wishing to earn credits at another institution must obtain permission from the Department Chair of his or her major in advance of taking courses from another institution.  Students may review the Transfer Dictionary to determine if the course has already been reviewed by the respective academic department. If the course has not been previously reviewed, a course description may be required.  The Authorization for Off-Campus Courses must be filled out prior to taking the course and approved by the Department Chair. Please also refer to the Residency Requirement in the catalog.

What is SiS?

"SiS" stands for the "Student information System." It's the web-based system that students, faculty and staff use to manage courses, schedules and other student information. It is how current UMass Lowell students register for classes, add/drop classes and receive grades.  Students have the ability to grant parents, guardians, family, spouses, employers, etc. access to their SiS accounts via a service called SiS UShare.  Students do this from their Student Center within SiS.  In compliance with FERPA, only students may initiate and assign guest access.  For more information on how to use SiS please click this link: SiS.

How can I register, add, drop or swap a class or add myself to a waitlist?

New non-degree students can submit the electronic Non-Degree Course Registration Form. Returning Students can register through SIS.

The class I need/want is full – what do I do?

If a class is full, you may place yourself on the waitlist.

How can I change my major/minor?

Undergraduate or Continuing Education students who wish to change their major or declare a minor can do so by submitting the approved Declaration or Change of Major or Declaration or Change of Minor forms to the Office of the Registrar. Approval signatures are required.

Graduate students must contact Graduate Admissions for the process needed to follow to change their major. If a graduate student would like to change their concentration they may do so by fill out a Graduate Academic Petition and having it approved by their coordinator.

How can I get a transcript or enrollment verification?

Student can request a transcript or enrollment verification through their SiS self-service for next business day processing. Students may also submit the Transcript Request Form  or a verification form via fax at 978-934-4076 or scanned by email to: Students may also come into the Registrar’s Office in person with a photo ID and one will be provided on the spot.

How do I contact the Registrar’s Office?

You can send an email to: or call 978-934-2550. The Registrar’s office is located at the University Crossing, 220 Pawtucket St., Suite M10, Lowell, MA 01854-5129.

When do classes begin?

The official Academic Calendar is located on the Registrar's website.