This LLC is ideal for any student who has a passion for sustainability, social justice, environmental activism, and for those whom want to create change within their community and the ever-changing planet we call home.
LEAF is open to students of all levels Freshmen through Seniors.
The LEAF LLC resides in the Innovation House in Donahue Hall!
As a result of living in the Leaders in Environmental Advocacy for the Future (L.E.A.F.) Living-Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to:
- Develop meaningful relationships through networking opportunities with faculty, staff, alumni, local business leaders, and peers that will allow for the exploration of careers within the realms of environmental science, clean energy, and sustainability.
- Explain what UMass Lowell is doing to contribute to sustainability on-campus in an effort to become ambassadors of campus sustainability.
- Develop effective organization and time management techniques that enhance study skills and promote academic and personal success.
- Explain the impact local, state, and regional actions have on the global environment.
- Examine communication strategies which successfully advocate for sustainability.
- Utilize personal passions to work towards positive change in the local community and environment.
In LEAF's first year many activities have been completed by the group including:
- Winning the STEM House Kick-Off Cake decorating contest.
- Enjoying an informative walk from Leitch, along the river to downtown with the Lowell Parks & Conservation Trust's, Executive Director, Jane Calvin.
- Savoring brunch at Mill No. 5's Coffee & Cotton
- Screening environmental films
- Hearing from other students engaged in sustainability
- Completing service projects to help non-profits in the city