This LLC is ideal for any student who has a passion for sustainability, social justice, environmental activism, and for those whom want to create change within their community and the ever-changing planet we call home.
Join LEAF For the 2019-2020 School Year
LEAF is open to students of all levels Freshmen through Seniors.
The LEAF LLC resides in the Innovation House in Donahue Hall!
Current Students visit the Online Housing Portal before March 31, 2019 to register. Be sure to select LEAF.
NEW Students be sure to submit your housing forms by May 5, 2019!
Current Activity- Spring Year-End Scavenger Hunt
Join others and compete for a $100 Amazon Gift Card! This is open to all students not just LEAF residents.
Complete eight (8) of the following activities and scan in using our QR-Code System. Look for or ask for the LEAF QR code when you take part in any of the activities below:
- Follow @SustainableUML on Twitter and encourage your friends to sign up for the LEAF LLC by March 31. Then email the tweet to: Sustainability@uml.edu. We'll direct you to a staff member to scan the code after this.
- Attend the UMass Lowell Sustainability 101 Lecture on March 26 in Olney 204 at 3 p.m. and scan the QR Code below the LEAF Logo.
- Check out a Freewheelers Bike from the Campus Recreation Center after its Opening Day on March 1 and ask to scan the LEAF QR Code.
- Attend one of the freely available Eco-Film Series screenings and scan the scavenger hunt QR code at the sign-in. Learn more about the series and check out the schedule: 2018 eco-film series: Taking Action (pdf)
- Attend the Earth Day Festival and Parade on April 22 and find the LEAF Scavenger Hunt Logo at one of the tables at the festival. The festival opens at 12:30 p.m. in UTEC, 35 Warren St, Lowell, MA 01852. More information can be found on the Lowell Earth Day website.
- Find a student club related to sustainability you are interested in and email: Sustainability@uml.edu, copying the club president on their UMass Lowell email address, confirming your participation.
- Engage with a Lowell non-profit before the end of the semester and tweet @SustainableUML or send a picture to Sustainability@uml.edu describing what you are doing and who you are working with.
- Write up a draft SEED grant idea for next year and email it to Sustainability@uml.edu for review.
- Help out at one or more of the following Office of Sustainability spring recycling events and check-in by scanning the QR Code with the staff running the event. Email: Sustainability@uml.edu for more information. Each event counts individually:
- Sustainable Move Out
- Spring Into Recycling
As a result of living in the Leaders in Environmental Advocacy for the Future (L.E.A.F.) Living-Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to:
- Develop meaningful relationships through networking opportunities with faculty, staff, alumni, local business leaders, and peers that will allow for the exploration of careers within the realms of environmental science, clean energy, and sustainability.
- Explain what UMass Lowell is doing to contribute to sustainability on-campus in an effort to become ambassadors of campus sustainability.
- Develop effective organization and time management techniques that enhance study skills and promote academic and personal success.
- Explain the impact local, state, and regional actions have on the global environment.
- Examine communication strategies which successfully advocate for sustainability.
- Utilize personal passions to work towards positive change in the local community and environment.
In LEAF's first year many activities have been completed by the group including:
- Winning the STEM House Kick-Off Cake decorating contest.
- Enjoying an informative walk from Leitch, along the river to downtown with the Lowell Parks & Conservation Trust's, Executive Director, Jane Calvin.
- Savoring brunch at Mill No. 5's Coffee & Cotton
- Screening environmental films
- Hearing from other students engaged in sustainability
- Completing service projects to help non-profits in the city