FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What are my authentication options?
- Duo Push: If the Duo Mobile app is installed on your smartphone or tablet, you can receive a push notification and can either approve or deny the authentication attempt.
- Phone call: You receive a phone call from Duo. The call will give instructions on approving or denying the authentication attempt. It will also allow you to indicate if it were a fraudulent call. Available for smartphone, basic cell phone, and landline phone.
- Pass codes via SMS: You can receive a one-time passcode via text message. This code will expire in 2 minutes, so you will need to use it promptly. Available for smartphone and cell phones with SMS service.
- Pass codes via Duo Mobile app: If you have the Duo Mobile app installed, you can receive a single pass code by tapping the key in the mobile app. This pass code must be used immediately. This is a good option if you do not have a good wireless or Wi-Fi signal on your phone. Available for smartphone & tablet.
Refer to the authentication types in the table below for each device.
Mobile Push Mobile Passcode Phone Call SMS Text Message Temporary Passcode Enroll a smartphone (recommended) X X X X Enroll a tablet X X Enroll a basic cell phone X X Enroll a landline phone X Call the UMass Lowell IT Service Desk –
- Do I need a smartphone to use Duo?
A smartphone is the best choice since it provides the greatest level of security and allows you to use the Duo Mobile App. The app generates passcodes for login and can receive push notifications for easy, one-tap authentication.
Any cell phone or even a landline will work, however, it will not include the advantages of the app (passcodes, prompts, etc.) and may result in regular cell phone charges in order to call back and authenticate (depending on your phone service).
- What if I don’t have a cell phone?
If you don’t have a cell phone, Duo allows you to use your landline phone. You would receive an automated phone call that requires you to hit “5” to confirm your identity.
- Should I enroll more than one device in MFA using Duo?
Although not required, we recommend you enroll an additional device (such as a smartphone and desk phone) in MFA to avoid difficulties authenticating if you lose or don’t have your only enrolled device with you.
- What if I don’t want to install the Duo App on my smartphone?
The Duo Mobile app provides the most user-friendly experience; however, there is no requirement to use it. As you go through the enrollment process:
- indicate you are enrolling a Mobile Phone,
- enter and verify your phone number,
- specify Other (and cell phones) as your device type, and then
- click Continue to Login to complete the process.
When you log in, you will have both the phone call and passcode options available to you.