To enroll in Duo multi-factor authentication, please follow the steps below. Please note that all of the images on this page are examples, and explain what you will be doing at each step.
If you have already enrolled and wish to add a new device to use Duo, or modify the settings of an existing device, you can visit the Multi-Factor Authentication website and select the “Manage Settings” button.
1. To set up Duo for the first time, visit the Multi-Factor Authentication website and select "Enroll".
It is highly recommended that you do this from a computer, and not the mobile device that you will be enrolling with Duo.
2. Log in using your UMass Lowell email address and password.
Click Login to continue.
3. You can now start the enrollment process by clicking the Start setup button.
You will be prompted to provide the type of device you want to enroll for MFA: mobile phone, tablet, or landline.
It is HIGHLY recommended that you use a mobile phone, as this option best supports the features offered by Duo.
4. On the next page, you will need to enter your phone number, confirm that it is correct, and confirm that you own the device by receiving a call or text message.
5. Enter the code from the text message.
6. Next, you will need to select the type of device you have.
If you are using a phone that is not a smartphone, select ‘other’ and the setup will complete.
If you have a smartphone, continue to the next step.
7. Install the Duo Mobile App.
Duo Mobile is an app that runs on your smartphone and helps you authenticate quickly and easily.
Without it you'll still be able to log in using a phone call or text message, but for the best experience we recommend that you use Duo Mobile.
Follow the platform-specific instructions on the screen to install Duo Mobile.
After installing our app return to the enrollment window and click I have Duo Mobile installed.
8. Activate Duo Mobile.
Activating the app links it to your account so you can use it for authentication.
On iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone activate Duo Mobile by scanning the barcode with the app's built-in barcode scanner.
Follow the platform specific instructions for your device.
9. Once you have scanned the bar code on your device, you should see the screen saying Activate Duo Mobile with a big green checkmark over the QR code, indicating success.
10. You have now finished enrolling your smartphone.
11. When adding devices, always select, “Ask me to choose an authentication method” from the dropdown.
This will give you the option of receiving a “push” notification (recommended), receiving a call, or a passcode.