Transfer out guide for international students

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to another school or program of study.

To start the process of transferring, you must upload the following documents to the Transfer Out E-form:

  • Copy of your official acceptance letter to the school you wish to attend
  • Transfer form provided by your new school (that must be completed by a DSO at UMass Lowell before your record is released)
  • Confirmation of the date you wish to have your SEVIS record released from UMass Lowell to your new school

If you plan to finish your current semester here at UMass Lowell the transfer out date must be AFTER the end of the semester.

If you have just finished an academic degree program at UMass Lowell, you will have to request a transfer to another institution prior to the end of the 60-day grace period allowed upon completion of your program of study. The ISSO takes seven to ten business days to process the transfer of your SEVIS record.

It is important to get a new Form I-20 (signed by your new DSO and you) as soon as possible.

Please note that the ISSO does not have an official "Transfer Out" form that needs to be signed.

If the school that you are transferring to has a Transfer Eligibility Form that must be completed by a DSO at UMass Lowell BEFORE they admit you into their university, we advise that you upload this form, and upload a copy of the correspondence from the other school which states that they will not provide an admission letter until the form is completed.