Adding a Dependent (F-2 or J-2)

Qualifications For Adding A Dependent

To qualify for adding a dependent, you will need to show proof of relationship to your requested dependent (spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21). To add your spouse as a dependent, you will need to show your Marriage Certificate (translated), your spouse’s Passport Biographical Page, and an additional $3,000 in funding. To add a child (or children) you will need to show the translated child’s birth certificate, an additional $2,000 per child, along with your child’s passport biographical page. Please note that the Embassy could ask for updated financial information during the interview, and it is important to always make sure your funding listed on your Form I-20 or DS-2019 is accurate (Family, Government, Self, Stipend/Waiver).

  • F-2 Dependents cannot work, but they may study part-time at a certified SEVP School
  • J-2 Dependents can study part or full-time, and may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) through USCIS for work authorization.

Add a Dependent

An advisor will review your request and process within 5-7 business days.