Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I don't select between a Work Experience and an International Experience? Your award is forfeited if it is not used.

Can I use my $4,000 award to pay my tuition?
Students who are taking classes while they are working may opt for a 70/30 withdrawal program, in which 70% of their weekly pay will go toward their bill and the other 30% into their direct deposit (after the removal of standard taxes). Students working over the summer, and not taking classes are not able to take advantage of 70/30, nor are international experience students whose $4,000 goes to paying the bill for the international experience.

Why are taxes removed from my $4,000?
Students who select the work experience are paid bi-weekly as an hourly employee. If a student works 300 hours, they will be paid $4,000, however the total amount deposited in your bank account is less than $4,000. Taxes and other state and federal required expense are removed first, much of which you determine when you complete your W-4 so an exact amount cannot be calculated by us. This is the same as for anyone employed in Massachusetts.

Do I have to do my I-9 in person? Do they have to be original documents?
Yes this is Federal Law.

Do I have to complete a poster when I finish my experience?
Yes, all students, international experience, work experience for research, community and government, are all asked to complete a poster which will be presented in October if you completed your experience in the summer, or completed in April if you completed an academic year placement