ExpertiseSubstance use disorders/opioid use disorder; Harm reduction interventions; People experiencing homelessness
Research InterestsOpioid use disorder care and treatment among Veterans
- Sc.D.: Public Health/Epidemiology, (currently enrolled), University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, MA
- MPH: International Health and Development, Epidemiology, (2008), Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- BA: Biological Sciences, Spanish, (2006), Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
Prior to joining UMass Lowell, Casey Leon was the Director of Research at the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological Sciences and Spanish from Wellesley College and a Master’s degree in Public Health with a dual concentration in Epidemiology and Global Health from Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. She is a returned Peace Corps volunteer.
- León, C., Cardoso LJP, ., Johnston, S., Mackin, S., Bock, B., Gaeta, J.M. (2018). Changes in public order after the opening of an overdose monitoring facility for people who inject drugs. The International journal on drug policy, 53 90-95.
- León, C., Cardoso, L., Mackin, S., Bock, B., Gaeta, J.M. (2018). The willingness of people who inject drugs in Boston to use a supervised injection facility. Substance abuse, 39(1) 95-101.
- Mitchell, M.S., León, C.L., Byrne, T.H., Lin, W., Bharel, M. (2017). Cost of health care utilization among homeless frequent emergency department users. Psychological Services, 14(2) 193 - 202.
- Barocas, J.A., Beiser, M., Leon, C., Gaeta, J.M., O’Connell, J.J., Linas, B.P. (2017). Experience and Outcomes of Hepatitis C Treatment in a Cohort of Homeless and Marginally Housed Adults. JAMA Internal Medicine, 177(6) 880 - 882.
- Beiser, M., Leon, C., Gaeta, J.M. (2017). Needs Assessment of HCV-Infected Individuals Experiencing Homelessness and Implications. Journal of Health Care for the Poor & Underserved, 28(1) 596 - 606.
- Leibler, J.H., Nguyen, D.D., León, C., Gaeta, J.M., Perez, D. (2017). Personal Hygiene Practices among Urban Homeless Persons in Boston, MA. International journal of environmental research and public health, 14(8).
- Leibler, J.H., León, C., Cardoso LJP, ., Morris, J.C., Miller, N.S., Nguyen, D.D., Gaeta, J.M. (2017). Prevalence and risk factors for MRSA nasal colonization among persons experiencing homelessness in Boston, MA. Journal of medical microbiology.
- Bauer, L.K., Brody, J.K., Leon, C., Baggett, T.P. (2016). Characteristics of Homeless Adults Who Died of Drug Overdose: A Retrospective Record Review. Journal of Health Care for the Poor & Underserved, 27(2) 846 - 859.
- Bharel, M., Santiago, E.R., Forgione, S.N., Leon, C., Weinreb, L. (2015). Eliminating Health Disparities: Innovative Methods to Improve Cervical Cancer Screening in a Medically Underserved Population. American Journal of Public Health, 105 S438 - 42.
- Leon, C., Spencer, L., Szela, C., Perez, S. (2009). Human eosinophils constitutively express multiple Th1, Th2, and immunoregulatory cytokines that are secreted rapidly and differentially. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 85(1) 117-123.