Preparing Excellent Teachers of All Language Learners (PETALLs) is a project to prepare all educators to improve the education of English language learners. The PETALLs project is a collaboration between the Graduate School of Education (GSE) at UMass Lowell and the Lawrence Massachusetts Public Schools and is funded by the US Department of Education. PETALLs provides ongoing professional development to GSE faculty, PK-12 teachers (pre-service and in-service), paraprofessionals and school administrators.
In the GSE, PETALLs
- Supports GSE faculty as they infuse Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) pedagogy into instructional methods courses
- Prepares all pre-service teachers with SEI pedagogy
- Provides a 12-credit graduate certificate in English as a Second Language (ESL)
In the Lawrence Public Schools, PETALLs
- Provides a 12-credit certificate program to district teachers
- Supports SEI preparedness for all teachers
- Facilitates administrator planning and implementation of SEI and ESL programs for English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Prepares paraprofessionals to support instruction for ELLs
Nationally, PETALLs Disseminates Findings About Effective Professional Development for Educators
- Through presentations at national conferences
- Through national and international publications
PETALLs is a National Professional Development (PD) project, funded by the U.S. Department of Education (T365Z120232).