ExpertiseEducational equity for multilingual students across content areas; Teacher education; Multilingualism and multiliteracies; Heritage language education
Critical and humanizing pedagogies; Content areas beyond the core; Remote instruction; Museum education; Multilingual literacies
- Ph.D.: Language, Literacy, and Social Inquiry, (2017), University of Maryland - College Park, Maryland
Supporting Area: Applied Linguistics
Dissertation/Thesis Title:Building Block of the World, Building Block of your Identity: Multilingual Literacy Socialization of Heritage Language Learners
- MA: Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages, (2004), University of Notre Dame of Maryland - Baltimore, Maryland
- BA: Russian Language and Culture, (2001), University of Eastern Finalnd - Joensuu, Finland
Supporting Area: minors in Education and Finnish Language & Literature
Dissertation/Thesis Title:Творчество Анастасий Вербицкой и анализ характеров главных героин в её рассказе «Мотыльки»
A native of Finland, Johanna Tigert, Ph.D. has called the United States home since 2001.
- Peercy, M. M., Tigert, J. M., Fredricks, D., Kidwell, T., Feagin, K., Hall, W., Himmel, J., & Lawyer, M. D, (2022). From humanizing principles to humanizing practices: Exploring core practices as a bridge to enacting humanizing pedagogy with multilingual students. Teaching and Teacher Education, 113.
- Kidwell, T., Peercy, M. M., Tigert, J. M., & Fredricks, D. (2021). Novice teachers’ use of pedagogical language knowledge to humanize language and literacy development. TESOL Journal, e590.
- Peercy, M.M., Kidwell, T., Lawyer, M.D., Tigert, J. M., Fredricks, D., Feagin, K., Stump, M. (2020). Experts at being novices: What new teachers can add to practice-based teacher education efforts. Action in Teacher Education, 42(3), 212-233.
- Peercy, M.M., Tigert, J. M., Feagin, K., Kidwell, T., Fredricks, D., Lawyer, M.D., Bitter, M., Canales, N., Mallory, A. (2019). “I need to take care of myself”: The case for self-care as a core practice for teaching (pp. 303-325). Information Age Publishing
- Tigert, J. M. & Leider, C. M. (2021). Beyond the “core”: Preparing art educators to meet the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse students. TESOL Quarterly, 56(1), 425-434.
- Leider, C. M. & Tigert, J. M. (2022). English Language Development specialists’ views on emergency remote teaching. TESOL Journal, 13, e652.
- Tigert, J. M. (2020). Pandemianaikaista kielipedagogiikkaa: Näkökulmia maahanmuuttajien etäopetukseen [In Finnish. Language pedagogy during a pandemic: Views on the remote teaching of immigrants]. Kieli, koulutus ja yhteiskunta, 11(5).
- Tigert, J. M., Fotouhi, G., & Kirschbaum, S. (2021). An investigation of museum educators’ questioning during field trips. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 31(Part A).
- Tigert, J. M., Kirschbaum, S. (2019). How museum teachers scaffold emergent bilingual learners’ meaning-making during field trips. Journal of Museum Education, 44(4), 439-447.
- Colombo, M., Tigert, J. M., & Leider, C. M. (2020). Creating a space for writers' voices: Translingual writing in middle and high school English classes. The Leaflet, 117(1), 20-29.
- Tigert, J. M., Groff, J., Martin-Beltrán, M., Peercy, M.M., Silverman, R. (2019). Exploring the pedagogical potential of translanguaging in peer reading interactions. In J. MacSwan & C. Faltis (Eds.), Codeswitching in the classroom: Critical perspectives on teaching, learning, policy, and ideology (pp. 65-87). Routledge.
- Martin-Beltrán, M., Tigert, J. M., Peercy, M. M., & Silverman, R. D. (2017). Using digital texts vs. paper texts to read together: Insights into engagement and mediation of literacy practices among linguistically diverse students. International Journal of Educational Research 82, 135-146.
- Tigert, J. M. (2018). Vanilla sauce and songs: literacies in a heritage language school. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 33(1), 100-113.
- Tigert, J. M. (2017). Ulkosuomalaisten lasten luku- ja kirjoitustaitojen kehittyminen suomen kielellä [The development of Finnish reading and writing skills in expatriate Finnish children]. Kieli, koulutus ja yhteiskunta.
- Humanizing core practices for managing learning in multilingual classrooms. TESOL International Convention, 2022.
- “But what does it look like?”: Supporting teachers’ humanizing practice. TESOL International Convention, 2022.
- Humanizing classroom management as a core practice for teachers of emergent bilingual learners. AERA Annual Meeting, 2020.
- "English as a little life vest": Examining world language teacher education using S-STEP and LangCrit. AAAL Conference, 2022.
- A dialogue between critical friends: Developing teacher educator expertise for supporting teacher candidates' anti-racist pedagogy. AAAL Conference, 2022.
- The need to “C” language-based content instruction through a critical lens. Literacy Research Association’s Annual Conference, 2021.
- Professional development for educators in informal learning spaces. National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, 2020.
- How museum teachers facilitate emergent bilingual learners’ meaning-making during field trips. AERA Annual Meeting, 2019.
- Best practices in culturally and linguistically inclusive museum education. National Art Education Association Convention, 2019.
- Just "hoping for the best": Asian students’ experiences in the writing center. National Association for Bilingual Education Conference, 2020.
- The Seal of Biliteracy in your classroom: Using bilingual texts. Massachusetts Reading Association’s 50th Anniversary Conference, 2019.
- Heritage language and culture through grocery shopping: A project for community language schools. National Heritage Language Resource Center Virtual Summit on Project-Based Learning, 2020.
- Dialects in heritage language education: Continued tensions. ACTFL Annual Conference, 2019.