M.Ed, Educational Administration – Concentration: Planning and Policy in Higher Education, University of Massachusetts Lowell
B.A, Psychology, University of Massachusetts Lowell
As Associate Dean of Academic Services, Riley-Callahan is responsible for services of the Centers for Learning, Advising and Student Success (CLASS). CLASS is located on North and South campuses and also in the evenings at Fox Hall and at the Inn and Conference Center. This services include:
- Professional advising for undergraduate students first year into second year and transfer students;
- Academic Alerts assists in identifying students who may need need extra support. Alerts are submitted by faculty and their professional advisor connects with the student and they work out a plan of action toward success.
- A university wide peer student tutoring program with support for students in over 100 courses among all locations. The peer tutors are certified each semester until they meet Master Level and the tutoring program is accredited through the College Reading and Learning Associated (CRLA);
- Academic Success Workshops for undergraduates are offered each semester and our students attend depending on the topic; Academic support for the undeclared exploratory students (change of major/career exploration) until they discover their right major;
- The Urban Massachusetts Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (UMLSAMP) - designed for underrepresented student majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM fields). UMLSAMP is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF);
- Testing Centers, provided on both North and South campuses, provide a space for students to take an exam in a controlled environment. Exam proctoring is provided for students with accommodations in a stress free environment.
2018 – Hobson Institute – Early Alert Best Practices Panelist
2015 – National Academic Advising Association - "Expanding the Village: Early Alert as a Campus-Wide Retention Initiative" Presentation
2014 – National Academic Advising Association - "Keeping the Beat: Early Alert System comes to UMass Lowell" Presentation
2014 – National Academic Advising Association - "New Rhythms in Advising: Innovative Advising Practices" Poster Session
2000 – The Council on Teaching, Learning and Research as Scholarship – Engaging Faculty in Building Academic Services. Conference on Retention in Higher Education – UMass Boston
National Association of Academic Affairs Administrators
National Academic Advisor Association
New England Transfer Association
Massachusetts Women in Public Higher Education
2016 Pillar of Excellence Award – Living and Learning Communities for Transfer Students
2005 – Successful Implementation of SIS and Academic Advisement
2004 – Francis Cabot Lowell Award (exemplary and outstanding work for the UMass Lowell Community.
2001 – Distinguished Alumnus of the Year – Psychology Department – UMass Lowell.
1992 – The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Citation for Outstanding Performance: Pride in Performance
2019 - Salesforce and UMass Lowell, San Diego, CA
Grants – the coordination and direction of two grants:
College Access Challenge Grant for first generation college students
Urban Massachusetts Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation for students in the STEM majors
1988-1990 - Instructor, Freshmen Seminar (1 credit)
1988-2019 - Instructor, Values and Creative Thinking (3 credits)
Related University Experience
2003-2005 – Subject Matter Expert for the implementation of PeopleSoft Academic Advisement, Pre-Requisite enforcement and Student Records
1990-1994 – Coordinator – Encore Adult Learner Program
1986-1987 – Student Loan Coordinator – Financial Aid Office