Skip to Main Content

College of Engineering Transfer Policies

Transfer Policies

GeneralPoliciesGeneral Policies

It is the policy of the College of Engineering to accept transfer students from other institutions as well as from other colleges within the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Such students may expect recognition of previously completed courses if these are equivalent to those that are specified by the curricula of the College of Engineering. Transfer students are required to have at least a 2.5 grade-point average in order to be admitted to the College of Engineering.

TransferOtherInstitutionsTransfer from OtherInstitutionsOther Institutions

UMass Lowell participates in the Joint Admissions Program of the Massachusetts Community Colleges and the University of Massachusetts. According to this program, a student from one of these community colleges is guaranteed admission to UMass Lowell provided the student is enrolled in a designated transfer program and earns an associate degree with a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average.

Courses that are transferred from other institutions are initially evaluated by the Office of Admissions in terms of general University of Massachusetts Lowell requirements. Professional courses are subsequently evaluated by the departments in which the student has been accepted. Credit is given for completed courses where the grade is C (2.000 on a 4.000 scale) or better.

The University of Massachusetts Lowell also subscribes to the Commonwealth Transfer Compact. Under this compact, the holder of an associate degree from a compact institution receives up to 66 credits for this work toward a Bachelor of Science in engineering or technology. Courses which are transferred to the University of Massachusetts Lowell under the provisions of the Commonwealth Transfer Compact, but which do not meet the credit requirements of the College of Engineering, or which are not acceptable as unrestricted elective courses, will be listed on the student’s transcript, but will not apply to the minimum degree requirements.

In the event that a student has first transferred to some other college in the University of Massachusetts Lowell under the Commonwealth Transfer Compact and subsequently makes a transfer to the College of Engineering, all previously completed courses, including transferred courses from other compact institutions, will be re-evaluated in terms of their applicability toward degree requirements of the College of Engineering.

The policies of each of the colleges in the university determine the applicability of grades received in transfer to the grade-point average of the student’s major at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. It is the policy of the College of Engineering not to count such grades for the purpose of determining the student’s grade-point average in his or her professional area.

22and23TransferPrograms2 + 2 and 2 + 3 Transfer Programs

The College of Engineering has been a leader in the development and implementation of 2 + 2 and 2 +3 Programs in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. More and more students who are interested in earning a Bachelor of Science degree in one of the engineering disciplines pursue their first two years of the curriculum at selected community and state colleges and complete the degree requirements during two to three final years at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The program is ideal from the standpoint of the student who is not ready to enter a four-year college, allowing the participant to ease into college life while still remaining close to home and within the environment of a smaller college.

The contractual agreements among participating schools require an on-going review of coursework normally offered in the first two years. Curricula and other requirements are carefully established and examined by faculty at both institutions.

Transfer agreements vary with each institution participating in the 2 + 2 or 2 + 3 programs. Some participating colleges offer programs that prepare students for transfer to mechanical and electrical engineering; programs in other schools lead to entry into chemical, civil or plastics engineering. High school students who are considering this program should consult the office of admissions at the University of Massachusetts Lowell for information about available programs in participating institutions.

RepetitionTransferredCoursesRepetition of Transferred Courses

A student who has been granted transfer credit from another institution, and on this basis has been assigned to advanced courses for which the transferred course is a prerequisite, may be subsequently advised to repeat such transferred work at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Such cases arise when preparation of the student is demonstrably inadequate to allow successful performance.

To repeat a transferred course a student must file an academic petition with the Dean of the College. Since credit may not be granted more than once for the completion of any course, a condition for filing such a petition is the simultaneous filing of a “request to revoke recognition” statement to dispose of the previously transferred course credit.

IntercollegiateTransferCollegeEngineeringIntercollegiate Transfer to the College of Engineering

Students wishing to transfer to the College of Engineering from another college within the University of Massachusetts Lowell, or from a baccalaureate (degree granting) Division of Continuing Education program, must file a form for change of major together with a transcript, with the Dean of the College of Engineering and with the appropriate engineering department head. Petitions for transfer must be filed no later than November 1 in order to transfer in the spring semester, and no later than April 1 in order to transfer in the fall semester.

Any student who wishes to transfer from another college in the University to the College of Engineering must have a minimum grade-point average of 2.500. Irrespective of the grade received, all courses that may not be applied to the College of Engineering program requirements will be deleted from the student’s cumulative grade-point average.

For further procedural details about the university’s policies concerning intercollegiate transfers, students are referred to University Academic Policies: Change of Major with Intercollegiate Transfer.