For $75 (Fall/Summer), $50 (Spring) a student, faculty or staff can rent a bike with a lock, helmet and lights for the entire semester. The program is meant to serve students who would like to be avid riders, but either don't own their own bike or are on campus for a semester and bringing or buying their own bike is not feasible.
2021 Semester Freewheelers Rentals
Summer - $75
- Pickup by appointment after May 30, 2021
- Return Due date August 27, 2021, 5 p.m.
Semester Rental Bikes are:
To Rent a Semester Freewheeler
- Register for the Freewheelers program. This will include a rental agreement, safety quiz and waiver.
- Contact Freewheelers@uml.edu to confirm availability and schedule a pick up appointment. Please provide some available times in the next 3 business days that you can pick up your bike.
- Pick up your bike and pay at the Bike Shop 5-2 Lawrence Drive Lowell, MA 01854
- Renters must register online for the Freewheelers program.
- Bikes are available in limited quantities and are first come first served, one bike per person for current students, faculty and staff.
- Full semester rental bicycles can be dropped off for service at the UMass Lowell Bike Shop or Campus Recreation Center at any time. Regular Maintenance from normal wear is included in the cost of the rental.
- By renting a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Damage repair and new parts due to damage are the financial responsibility of the renter.
- Renters must supply their own bike light batteries.
- If a renter reserves a bike that does not fit them, the bike shop may exchange or cancel and refund their reservation at its discretion.
- Renters returning bikes with damage or abnormal wear and tear will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged up to $500 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.