UMass Lowell Web Services provides web log or blog services in support of scholarly and curricular communications conducted by members of the University community at blogs.uml.edu. The product available is WordPress. Previously an enterprise version of Movable Type was used.
The blog service is available to any current faculty, student or staff member of UMass Lowell who has an active UMass Lowell email account. Unfortunately, at this time we cannot provide accounts for University partners.
File a web ticket to request a blog. This is what you'll need to provide in the ticket:
- A title for the blog
- Any image you want to use for the banner photo
- Any subpages you'll need created, such as a Contact page
- An explanation of what the blog is to be used on the About page
- List of people (uml.edu email addresses) who will have access to submit to the blog. These are roles available in our WordPress blogs.
This service is provided at no cost to eligible users.
Use of the blog service and the content of all electronic pages are subject to all applicable UMass Lowell computer and network usage policies and local, state and federal laws. These policies include but are not limited to:
- University resources may not be used to create web pages primarily for personal business or personal gain.
- All material posted on the blog service must be in compliance with copyright law. Authors have the responsibility of acquiring all necessary permissions to post copyrighted material (including photographs).
- The selling of online advertising space to non-University entities on any web page hosted or sponsored by UMass Lowell is strictly forbidden.
- A web page may be considered in violation of content policies if it contains links to pages that violate the policy.
The following statement must appear on all pages created through the University’s blog service, unless the pages were explicitly approved for official university business: “The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by University of Massachusetts Lowell.”
Ownership and Copyright
The copyright and all related rights to original work posted via the blog service are owned by and are the sole responsibility of its author(s).
UMass Lowell intends to archive the content of all blogs in the blog service for non-commercial, historical purposes. By using the blog service, authors grant UMass Lowell non-exclusive rights to archive blog content in any format.
UMass Lowell reserves the right to require blog authors to utilize university approved templates for all hosted pages.
UMass Lowell may establish limits regarding the use of the blog service and may modify these limits at any time. This includes but is not limited to the total size of the blog content, the size of images, videos, software or other material posted to a blog.
UMass Lowell offers the blog service at the author’s own risk. The blog service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The university does not guarantee that it will provide ancillary software, such as databases and script languages, that authors may wish to use in their blogs.
UMass Lowell reserves the right to remove, at any time, at its sole discretion, any content posted on the blog service that it deems in violation of university policy or local, state or federal law.
UMass Lowell reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the provisions of the blog service.