Beginning in fall 2012, UMass Lowell was proud to introduce an on-campus carpool program. This allows individuals that carpool to have access to premium parking at reduced rates.
- A carpool is defined as two (2) or more employees and/or off-campus students commuting together at UMass Lowell. Permit holders are assigned one carpool permit to use among themselves. Note: On-campus residential students are not eligible for carpool permits.
- The price of the carpool permit is ½ the permit price for each participant at each participant’s regular rate. Both permit holders must pay for their ½ of the permit. If there are more than 2 persons in a carpool, the price is lowered proportionally.
- A carpool permit will be valid in all lots typically assigned to the driver, in addition to the preferred carpool spaces in those lots. In the event that the group consists of a student and faculty/staff member, the permit will be valid in lots for which the member that has the highest level of access. For example, if member #1 is permitted to park in commuter parking lots and member #2 is permitted to park in staff parking, the permit will be valid in both lots. A list of carpool spaces and standard parking locations can be found at www.uml.edu/ParkingLocations.
- The preferred parking spaces will be marked “Reserved Carpool Permit” and are limited to vehicles displaying the appropriate carpool hangtag. If all carpool parking spaces are full you are eligible to park in any legal space within that parking lot.
- Applicants must pledge to commute to campus together most of the time. Additionally, carpool members must live in areas that would facilitate reasonable and expected commute pattern that is consistent with the intent of the carpool permit program.
- Applicants will be assigned a limited number of one-day commuter permits (16 days per semester) at no charge to accommodate their occasional need to drive alone.
- On days the carpool is not ridesharing, the car without the hangtag must obtain a 1-day parking pass by visiting MyParking.uml.edu, logging in with your e-mail credentials, and ordering a pass. The temporary pass must be displayed on your dashboard.
All participants in the carpool program will be able to park in lots commensurate to their standing at the University (Commuter, Staff or Faculty), as well as premium parking spaces on a first-come first-serve basis. These spaces are located in the following lots:
- North - Riverside Lot B (Faculty, Staff and Commuter)
- South - The Lower Mahoney Lot (Faculty, Staff and Commuter)
Once you have your group of two or more gathered, simply download and complete the Carpool Application (pdf). This form must be delivered to the UCAPS Office located in University Crossing, 220 Pawtucket St., Lowell along with full payment, and each person must be present with a photo ID for verification.
The carpool group will receive a single hang tag that has card access built into it. The hang tag must be prominently displayed whenever parking on campus, and used on the gate readers to raise them. Be careful not to lose the tag, as there is a $20 replacement and any tag reported lost will be flagged by Parking Enforcement for possible citation if found displayed.