Patrick Joseph Vail graduated from the University Massachusetts Lowell, then Lowell Tech, with two B. S. degrees in 1965 one in Physics the other in Nuclear Science he then went on to get a Ph.D. in Physics in 1969.
He works for Schafer Corp., headquartered in Chelmsford, Mass. However he works in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Pat often works from home.
He currently performs calculations and experiments related to the propagation and effects of high power microwaves. In the past, worked on diverse topics such as:
- Experimented with ion-neutral collisions in the D-Region of the atmosphere working for AFCRL and Wentworth Institute
- Experimented with radiation effects on electronics, working for AFRL and RADC
- Acted as the principal technical advisor on three lethality programs (CW and pulsed lasers and neutral particle beams) for the Strategic Defense Initiative
- Served on several international scientific committees (NATO and Four Powers)
- Acted as technical advisor and deputy division chief for several AFRL technical divisions
- Worked on high power microwave effects on electronic devices and systems
- Elevated to Fellow of the Directed Energy Professional society
- Chaired a number of technical conferences, workshops, and conference sessions.