Skip to Main Content

Prospective/Transfer Students

The UMass Lowell Computer Science Department welcomes students who come right after high school and those transferring from other schools. We invite you to peruse our site and learn more about our facilities and programs.

Here are specific recommendations for joining UMass Lowell’s Computer Science program for students coming from:

Before Applying to UMass Lowell’s Computer Science Department
Not all courses at your current school will be transferable to UMass Lowell’s Computer Science Department. Consult UMass Lowell’s Transfer Dictionary to see if particular courses can be transferred. Refer to the course grid (subject to change for future students) for courses you’ll eventually need to take at UMass Lowell.

Transfer students often have better luck transferring courses that we require in other fields, for example, calculus (for scientists, engineers, or math majors), college writing, calculus-based physics, and general education requirements.

If your current school is a community college or other two-year school, you can not transfer its courses in as junior or senior level courses at UMass Lowell.

Do not take lots of computer programming courses. Learning how to do beginning programs in lots of different languages is a waste of your time. The beginning computing courses in UMass Lowell's Computer Science Department are taught using the C programming languages.

Do not try to get a head start in the computer science major by taking “Computer Mathematics” or “Information Technology” courses through UMass Lowell’s Division of Continuing Education. Those courses, which have 90 or 70 course prefixes, do not count toward a CS degree. If you want to take courses through Continuing Education, check whether the course is a required course or a computer science elective, and where it fits in the course grid. Be sure to check the course number, not just the title! Also note that we do not accept courses with 94 prefixes as the equivalent of our standard courses with 91 prefixes, regardless of the fact that the titles of the courses may be identical.

When Applying to UMass Lowell’s Computer Science Department
No courses will be evaluated by the Computer Science Department before a Preliminary Transfer Evaluation is done by the Admissions Office.
If you want to transfer courses from a foreign school, your transcript must be analyzed by the World Education Services (WES) before courses can be evaluated by UMass Lowell.

If you decide to apply to UMass Lowell, contact the transfer admissions officer at UMass Lowell’s Admissions Office. After you apply, Admissions will send you a Preliminary Transfer Evaluation, which should list some of the courses you will receive transfer credit for. The Computer Science Department will evaluate the Preliminary Transfer Evaluation for additional computer science courses and general electives.  However, the Computer Science Dept. is not authorized to evaluate other courses, such as calculus, general education, physics, English, etc. These courses must be evaluated by the appropriate departments at UMass Lowell (see below).

You can petition the appropriate department at UMass Lowell to transfer courses other than computer science courses and general electives. For example, UMass Lowell’s English Dept. decides the transferability of English courses and UMass Lowell’s Mathematics Dept. decides the transferability of mathematics courses. If you have been accepted as a computer science major, you should seek the advice of the Computer Science Dept.’s undergraduate coordinator before petitioning other departments. You ask to get transfer credit via an Academic Petition, available on the Registrar’s website. Call the appropriate department to find out who evaluates transfer courses and when he or she is available. Bring a course description and whatever other documentation the department asks for. You can petition for further transfer credits any time before you graduate from UMass Lowell.

When you become a UMass Lowell computer science major, you will be assigned a faculty advisor.  Your advisor can assist in registering for courses and most academic matters. However, for transfer issues, seek the advice of the undergraduate coordinator.