ExpertiseGeochemical processes, undergraduate and graduate programs
Geochemical processes, alkaline rocks and granites, nuclear methods, metals in the environment
My general area of research is geochemistry, but I have eclectic interests which range from forensic geology to archaeology. Recent projects - characterizing the glass (Trintite) produced during the first atomic bomb test; determining the concentration of Br in geological and biological materials; petrology and geochemistry of Jurassic - Cretaceous magmatism in the northeastern US and Canada; F and Cl in apatite, amphibole, and biotite; sources of obsidian; using tree-ring cores to map environmental change; and atmospheric pollutants.
- Ph D: Geology, (1971), Boston University - Boston, MA
- MS: Geology, (1967), Lehigh University - Bethlehem, PA
- BA: Geology, (1965), Lehigh University - Bethlehem, PA
Selected Awards and Honors
- Fellow (2014), Scholarship/Research - Mineralogical Society of America
- Fellow (2012), Scholarship/Research - Geological Society of London
- Erskine Fellow (1998), Scholarship/Research - University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Fellow (1986), Scholarship/Research - Geological Society of America
- Visiting Senior Fellow (1982), Scholarship/Research - Linacre College, University of Oxford
- Elected Full Member, Sigma Xi (1971), Scholarship/Research - Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Fontaine, J.E., Fontaine, S., Eby, G.N. (2018). Geochemistry of ore minerals and calcite from the Franklin and Sterling Hill Zinc Mines (D1 Geochemistry: pp. 8-3). Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Section of the Geological Society of America
- Beaudoin, C., Eby, G.N. (2018). Trace element chemistry of emeralds (D1 Geochemistry: pp. 8-8). Annual Meeting Northeastern Section of the Geological Society of America
- Cadoux, A., Iacono-Marziano, G., Paonita, A., Deloule, E., Aiuppa, A., Eby, G.N., Costa, M., Brusca, L., Berlo, K., Geraki, K., Mather, T.A., Pyle, D.M., Di Carlo, I. (2017). A new set of standards for in-situ measurement of bromine abundances in natural silicate glasses: application to SR-XRF, LA-ICP-MS and SIMS techniques. Chemical Geology, 452 60-70.
- Eby, G.N. (2017). Mesozoic magmatism in Northeastern North America and Canada: A classic A1-type granite province. Goldschmidt 2017
- Marks, M.A., Kendrick, M.A., Wenzel, T., Eby, G.N., Zack, T. (2017). Reply to “Comment on the F, Cl, Br and I contents of reference glasses BHVO-2G, BIR-1G, BCR-2G, GSD-1G, NIST SRM610 and NIST SRM612”. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research, 41 475-478.
- Marks, M.A., Kendrick, M.A., Eby, G.N., Zack, T., Wenzel, T. (2017). The F, Cl, Br and I Contents of Reference Glasses BHVO-2G, BIR-1G, BCR-2G, GSD-1G, GSE-1G, NIST SRM 610 and NIST SRM 612. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research, 41 107-122.
- Eby, G.N., Soucy, A. (UML), Fontaine, S. (UML) (2017). Using factor analysis to identify soil contaminants from the Palmerton, PA, zinc smelters (T16 Novel Approaches to Mine Remediation: Addressing the Legacy of Hardrock Mining through Innovative and Practical Methods: pp. Paper #299-6). Annual Meeting Geological Society of America
- Leach, F., Campbell, H., Eby, G.N., Holt, K., Regelous, M., Richards, R., Weaver, S. (2016). Obsidian floater washed up on a beach in the Chatham Islands: geochemical composition and comparison with other volcanic glasses. Tubinga, 27 21-49.
- Eby, G.N. (2016). Principles of Environmental Geochemistry (pp. 514). Waveland Press
- Eby, G.N. (2016). The Coastal New England and White Mountain igneous provinces: Triassic-Jurassic intraplate magmatism in Northeastern US and Southeastern Canada (T153 Alkaline Rocks: in Honor and Memory of Daniel S. Barker: pp. Paper # 19-5). Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America
- Eby, G.N. (2016). Tree-ring record of smelter operations at Palmerton, PA (T21 Trace Metals in the Environment: pp. Paper # 41-6). Annual Meeting Northeastern Section of the Geological Society of America
- Eby, G.N. (2015). Geology and Petrology of the Mont Royal Pluton (Field Guidebook for the 87th Annual Meeting of the New York State Geological Association: pp. 265-282). SUNY Plattsburgh
- Eby, G.N., Charnley, N., Pirrie, D., Hermes, R., Smoliga, J., Rollinson, G. (2015). Trinitite redux: Mineralogy and petrology. American Mineralogist, 100(2-3) 427–441.
- Eby, G.N. (2015). Tracing F and Cl concentrations in alkaline felsic magmas (Book of Abstracts: pp. PT.095). The 8th Hutton Symposium on Granites and Related Rocks
- Eby, G.N., Pirrie, D., Hermes, R., Charnley, N. (2014). Nuclear forensics – identification of post-detonation debris (FGG conference, booklet of abstracts:3 pp. 43-47). The Geological Society Forensic Geoscience Group
- Duke, G., Carlson, R., Frost, C., Hearn, B., Eby, G.N. (2014). Continent-scale linearity of kimberlite-carbonatite magmatism, mid-continent North America. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 403 1-14.
- Eby, G.N. (2014). A-type granites: characteristics and petrogenesis. International Workshop on Convergent Margins
- Eby, G.N. (2014). Classification and origin of granites. International Workshop on Convergent Margins
- Mangler, M.F., Marks, M.A., Zaitzev, A.N., Eby, G.N., Markl, G. (2014). Halogens (F, Cl and Br) at Oldoinyo Lengai volcano (Tanzania): Effects of magmatic differentiation, silicate–natrocarbonatite melt separation and surface alteration of natrocarbonatite. Chemical Geology, 365 43–53.
- Eby, G.N. (2013). Post CAMP Magmatism: The White Mountain and Monteregian Hills Igneous Provinces, Eastern North America. Annual Meeting Northeast Section Geological Society of America, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs 45(1) 127.
- Eby, G.N. (2013). Instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA) and forensic applications. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 384 121–131.
- Armstrong-Altrin, J.S., Lee, Y.I., Kasper-Zubillaga, J.J., Carranza-Edwards, A., Garcia, D., Eby, G.N., Balaram, V., Cruz-Ortiz, N.L. (2012). Geochemistry of beach sands along the western Gulf of Mexico, Mexico: Implication for provenance. Chemie der Erde, 72 345-362.
- Zozulya, D.R., Lyalina, L.M., Eby, G.N., Savchenko, Y.E. (2012). Ore geochemistry, zircon mineralogy, and genesis of the Sakharjok Y-Zr deposit, Kola Peninsula, Russia. Geology of Ore Deposits, 54(2) 81-98.
- Eby, G.N. (2012). The Beemerville Alkaline Complex, Northern New Jersey (Guidebook for the 77th Annual Field Conference of Pennsylvania Geologists: pp. 85-91). Pennsylvania Geological Survey
- Marks, M.A., Wenzel, T., Whitehouse, M.J., Loose, M., Zack, T., Barth, M., Worgard, L., Krasz, V., Eby, G.N., Stosnach, H., Markl, G. (2012). The volatile inventory (F, Cl, Br, S, C) of magmatic apatite: An integrated analytical approach. Chemical Geology, 291 241-255.