Celebrating Everyday Advocates for Working Women
Honoring people who, through their ordinary actions,have had an extraordinary impact
Honoring Those Who Have Made a Difference for Working Women!
We are officially ten! The Center for Women and Work has built a supportive and lively community of scholars dedicated to enhancing equity for women in the workplace. We have tackled such issues as sexual harassment, women and disabilities, aging, and the trafficking of women and children. We have major research initiatives on the themes of carework, women in science and technology, and workplace discrimination and health. And we continue to challenge inequalities by supporting an equitable community at UMass Lowell, consulting with local organizations, and promoting dialogue on issues of women and work through open forums such as our annual Gathering at the Well. We are proud of what we have accomplished and we have no intention of slowing down.
In honor of the 10th Anniversary of the Center for Women and Work, we held a very special event to honor those women and men whose ordinary actions have made an extraordinary impact on the lives of working women. These special people - mentors, leaders, professors, dedicated volunteers, secretaries, and so on - received our Everyday Advocates for Working Women Award at our 10th anniversary celebration breakfast on October 23, 2008. We also honored US Representative Niki Tsongas, who gave an inspirational speech at the end of the program. The event featured a silent auction, the proceeds of which are helping the Center continue its mission of addressing gender inequities in the workplace.
Click here to view the photo gallery!
The following people have received our Everyday Advocates for Working Women Award for making an extraordinary impact through their ordinary actions.
- Niki Tsongas, nominated by UMass Lowell Center for Women & Work
- Donna Allen, nominated by UMass Lowell Department of Psychology
- Lenore Azaroff, nominated by Laura Punnett
- Haylee Bacik, nominated by Greater Lowell Technical High School
- Oneida Blagg, nominated by UMass Lowell Office of the Chancellor
- Linda Brantley, nominated by WAGE Project, Inc.
- Annie Ciraldi, nominated by UMass Lowell Office of Student Affairs
- Cynthia deCastro, nominated by UMass Lowell Labor Extension Program
- Carole Cowan , nominated by Middlesex Community College
- Elizabeth Fortin, nominated by UMass Lowell College of Arts & Sciences - Division of Sciences
- Stacie Hargis, nominated by Paula Rayman
- Mary Kramer, nominated by UMass Lowell College of Arts & Sciences - Division of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
- Pauline Ladebauche, nominated by UMass Lowell School of Health & Environment
- Annia Lembert, nominated by UMass Lowell Labor Extension Program
- Martha Mayo, nominated by UMass Lowell Office of Community Outreach
- Julie Nash, nominated by UMass Lowell Gender Studies Program
- Joan Parker, nominated by John Wooding
- Tiffini Pearson, nominated by Eisai Human Health Care
- Alyssa Raymond, nominated by Greater Lowell Technical High School
- Yana Shapiro, nominated by UMass Lowell Office of Continuing Education & Corporate Studies
- Donna Spellissy, nominated by Joyce Taylor Gibson
- Maristela Tosato, nominated by Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers
- WISE Committee, nominated by Greater Lowell Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Committee, nominated by Women Working Wonders Fund
Sponsorship and Donations
This event could not be possible without the generous support from the community. We would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors:
Sustaining Sponsors Enterprise Bank
Middlesex Community College
Wheelabrator North Andover Inc.
UMass Lowell Office of Continuing Education and Corporate Studies
UMass Lowell School of Health & Environment UMass Lowell College of Management
Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union
Women Working Wonders Fund
Eisai Human Health Care
The Lowell Spinners
Greater Lowell Chamber of Commerce
Morgan Stanley (North Shore)
UMass Lowell Labor Extension Program
Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad
WAGE Project, Inc.
Collegiate Project Services UMass Lowell Chancellor's Office
UMass Lowell College of Sciences
UMass Lowell College of Arts & Humanities
UMass Lowell Department of Psychology
UMass Lowell Gender Studies Program
UMass Lowell Office of Community Outreach
UMass Lowell Office of Multicultural Affairs
UMass Lowell School of Education
UMass Lowell Center for Field Services & Studies
Thank you for your generosity!
For more information, please contact:
Center for Women and Work
850 Broadway St., Suite 1
Lowell, MA 01854
Phone: (978) 934-4380