About the Tripathy Endowed Memorial Summer Undergraduate Fellowship
The Tripathy Endowed Memorial Summer Undergraduate Fellowship is a prestigious award given to an outstanding undergraduate candidate in the summer preceding his/her junior or senior year in the Kennedy College of Sciences or the Francis College of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The fellowship is awarded in memory of the late Sukant Tripathy, University Professor and former Provost of UMass Lowell. The candidate will be supported by a stipend to conduct summer research in the broad areas related to materials science, reflecting the fields of study that interested Professor Tripathy.
Tripathy was an internationally recognized leading scientist in materials science and was a recipient of the C.S. Marvel Award of the Division of Polymer Chemistry of the American Chemical Society. It is hoped that Tripathy Fellows will be motivated to outstanding professional careers.
The solicitation for this award is announced in February and the Fellowship Awardee will be announced on May 15 of that year. No award will be made if there are no qualified applicants for that year. If the endowed funding is insufficient to offer the award, no solicitation will be made that year. The selection will renew the following year.
The Tripathy Undergraduate Fellowship Award will be a stipend of $3,500 for a full-time 10-week period, June - August. The selection criteria are based on academic accomplishment, recommendation letters, letter of commitment from a faculty mentor, and statement of planned summer research.
The selection process will begin on April 20 and will be completed by May 14. During this period, the committee will objectively score the required criteria.
The finalist will be announced on May 15.
The applicants are expected to identify a faculty mentor, and spend the summer period conducting research work under the guidance of this mentor. At the completion of the fellowship period, the recipient will provide a two-page report and make a presentation of their research findings. Fellows are expected to acknowledge this prestigious award in any publications and presentations resulting from this summer research.
This award will be given to an outstanding undergraduate student in the Kennedy College of Sciences or the Francis College of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, interested in conducting research in the area of materials science. To qualify for this award, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Student must have a 3.25 GPA or higher - provide transcript
- Student must have completed at least 50 credits in the Kennedy College of Sciences or the Francis College of Engineering at UMass Lowell
- Student must identify a faculty mentor,and spend the summer period conducting research work under the guidance of this mentor
- Faculty Mentor Statement of Commitment (pdf)
- Student must detail a planned summer research project statement (200 words)
- Two letters of recommendation - Identify (2) UMass Faculty
- The application deadline is: April 20
- Jayant Kumar, Prof., Physics & Applied Physics, Director of the Center for Advanced Materials (CAM)
- Ramaswamy Nagarajan, Prof., Plastics Engineering, and Co-Director of the HEROES Initiative
- Susan Thomson-Tripathy, Lecturer and Director of BLA Program
- Dhimiter Bello, Associate Professor, Director of Research and Graduate Studies for the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences
- Ashok Cholli, President of Polnox Corporation