Tripathy Memorial Summer Graduate Fellowship
How to Apply
Important Information Summary
Application Form (pdf)
About the Fellowship
The Tripathy Endowed Memorial Summer Graduate Fellowship is a prestigious award given each year to one or two outstanding Ph.D. candidates (dependent upon endowed funds) in their final year of research in the broad areas of materials science and polymer science at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The fellowship is awarded in memory of the late Sukant Tripathy, University Professor and former Provost of UMass Lowell, and the fields of study reflect his broad interests in these areas.
Dr. Tripathy was an internationally recognized leading scientist in materials science and was a recipient of the C.S. Marvel Award of the Division of Polymer Chemistry of the American Chemical Society. It is hoped that Tripathy Fellows will be motivated to outstanding professional careers. The awardees will be announced by May 15 of this year.
The fellowship award will be a stipend of $6,500 for the summer.
The solicitation for this award is announced in February and awards are normally announced by May 15 of that year. The selection criteria are based on the following student qualifications:
- Academic accomplishment
- Recommendation letters
- Oral presentation to the selection committee
The past recipients of this summer award are:
- 2013 Joshna Chittigon
- 2012 Sethumadhavan Ravichandran, Soumitra Satapathi
- 2011 Abhishek Kumar, JiSun Im
- 2010 Ryan Bouldin
- 2009 Jagdeep Singh
- 2008 Rahul Panchal, Rahul Tyagi
- 2007 Yanping Wang, Dingsong Feng
- 2006 Amol Chendekar, Subhalakshmi Nagarajan
- 2005 Sarika Verma, Xonghua Zhou
- 2004 Bon Cheol Ku, Xiaodong Wu
- 2003 Xian Yan Wang, Heejoon Ahn
The Tripathy Fellowship will be given to an outstanding UMass Lowell graduate student whose research is in the various fields of materials science and/or material engineering and who is in the final stages of finishing a doctoral program. The student must meet the following criteria:
- Student must have a 3.50 or higher G.P.A.
- Student must have completed doctoral exams in a timely manner from one of the science or engineering departments of UMass Lowell.
- Student must have completed all doctoral requirements except thesis submission.
- Student must have demonstrated research abilities through peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
How to Apply
Submit a completed Tripathy Summer Fellowship Application along with copies of transcripts and a resume, which includes publications, papers presented and patents pending or awarded. The application form may be downloaded (Application Form). Also submit a one-page statement on your vision of your role in the future for your chosen field of research. Two letters of recommendation, including one from the thesis advisor, are needed. The thesis advisor must certify completion of the Ph.D. program.
All application materials must be submitted by April 20th to the Dean of Sciences in Olney 524.
The Selection Committee, chaired by the Jayant Kumar, Director of the Center for Advanced Materials (CAM), will review the applications. The committee includes Daniel Sandman, Associate Director of CAM; Ashok Cholli; Arthur Watterson, Director of the Institute for Nano Science and Engineering Technology; and Susan Thomson-Tripathy, as a representative of the Tripathy family. The selection process will begin on April 20 and will be completed by May 15. During this period the committee will make a list of finalists and will interview each finalist. The announcement of award will be made on May 15.
The Tripathy Fellowship is for the period of May 15-August 31 (approximately 3.5 months). No award will be made if there are no qualified students available for that year and the selection process will renew the following year. The recipients are expected to submit a progress report to the Committee Chairman on September 1 of the award year. The recipients are expected to spend the entire summer period on their research work under the guidance of their thesis advisor, with one week of vacation time. Tripathy Fellows are expected to acknowledge this prestigious award in their theses, and in any publications and presentations resulting from the summer research.
Important Information Summary
- Application Form (pdf)
- Announcement of Award: February 28 of the awarding year
- Deadline to Receive Completed Form: April 20 of the awarding year
- Submit all the Application Materials to: Dean of Sciences, Olney 524, 978-934-3840
- Selection and Interview Process: April 20 - May 15 of the awarding year
- Announcement of Fellow(s): May 15 of the awarding year
- Fellowship Period: May 15- August 31
- Number of Fellowships: Up to two per year
- Fellowship Stipend: $6,500
- Additional Information - Center for Advanced Materials, 978-934-3695